OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Decided to go check out my 2 least favorite LFS around town today. Maybe something has changed since my last visits. One lectured me about you cannot buy 1 clown, before I could inform him of my situation. Then was told I shouldn't buy a storm clown for their own personal beliefs. I get they have a roof to pay for but dang they are $$$, last time I will go back there. 2nd place had some cheap snails so got 5 astra and 5 tiny blue leg herms for $10-11 total. Ordered a flame tip goby and possibly a pistol shrimp. didn’t think they paired but was told they just sold a pair they had. Wait and see what happens there. They always have a ton of coral and interesting fish. I wanted the possum wrasse but didn’t need it and wasn’t ready for a new fish. Check this darn crab though! Pretty awesome I thought! So big!!! Happy Friday!
IMG_4890.jpeg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been busy catching up with your updates!

Not sure why, but I got no notifications, sorry about that!

I am really sorry about your clown... That really sucks.

Everything else is looking awesome though!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to go check out my 2 least favorite LFS around town today. Maybe something has changed since my last visits. One lectured me about you cannot buy 1 clown, before I could inform him of my situation. Then was told I shouldn't buy a storm clown for their own personal beliefs. I get they have a roof to pay for but dang they are $$$, last time I will go back there. 2nd place had some cheap snails so got 5 astra and 5 tiny blue leg herms for $10-11 total. Ordered a flame tip goby and possibly a pistol shrimp. didn’t think they paired but was told they just sold a pair they had. Wait and see what happens there. They always have a ton of coral and interesting fish. I wanted the possum wrasse but didn’t need it and wasn’t ready for a new fish. Check this darn crab though! Pretty awesome I thought! So big!!! Happy Friday!
IMG_4890.jpeg
Wow that's a cool crab!

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been busy catching up with your updates!

Not sure why, but I got no notifications, sorry about that!

I am really sorry about your clown... That really sucks.

Everything else is looking awesome though!
Thanks!
I’m having the same issue not getting notifications…ugh! Thanks for checking in!

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Weekly cleaning day, scrubbed it down and about 4g water change. Few patches of brownish sand but working through it. Microbacter clean/7 daily still. Getting a lot of micro bubbles with this skimmer, hoping it will break in and settle down otherwise I will not run it all day. UV working?…no idea. I did do this work earlier, tank would not clear up. Filter roller turned a lot, still cloudy. Pulled and when back to floss, clear in 30 min so I’m going to message isealife guy to see if I’m not using it right? It sure isn’t working well for me. I’ve also moved my powerhead again, struggling to make myself happy with the flow.
IMG_4937.jpeg
Found myself in an online auction last night late and on one lol..bought a few things I didn’t need. Zoas, blasto, 2 RFA (looked a lot better on the screen last night…like super yellow…not so much, might end up taking them back). And a pretty cool mushroom.
IMG_4934.jpeg
IMG_4935.jpeg
IMG_4936.jpeg

Also got a little tiger conch!
IMG_4903.jpeg

Lastly I got another freaking clown… this one will be harder to lose (way bigger than I thought when I got it home) but seems ok. It’s very pretty and some cool oranges in the fins. Fingers crossed!
IMG_4918.jpeg
IMG_4922.jpeg
IMG_4931.jpeg IMG_4932.jpeg Almost forgot!
My little wrasse is being more social!
IMG_4932.jpeg
And shrimp doing shrimp things
IMG_4931.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No big updates, still battling some algae on the sand and rock work. Par has been tuned for now where I want it to be but will turn down a bit while this algae sorts its self out. Kicking around a 3 day blackout to see if I can rule out what’s giving me trouble. Still playing with the flow and direction.
Managed to only trade in coral today so maybe my addiction is leveling out…haha prob not. Got some store credit in the bank!
Pic dump, wrasse is finally coming out more and more. Not so afraid of me! Once I’m sure this algae is toned down I’m on a mission for color, feels dull right now. Options are endless lol and don’t know what I want to do! Open to suggestions, I haven’t completely talked myself out of a nem.. but close. Top right toad is the most open it’s been in over 6 months so that’s positive! If that comes back to normal I’ll be so happy!
IMG_5060.jpeg
IMG_5059.jpeg
IMG_5058.jpeg
Family photo! Haha
IMG_5056.jpeg
Lighting hides its patterns in the photo, much prettier in person.
IMG_5050.jpeg

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very pretty wrasse! Your tank looks well maintained, the algae will say sayounara in no time. How's the skimmer working out for you? I see some gross looking skimmate in the first shot :grimacing-face:

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very pretty wrasse! Your tank looks well maintained, the algae will say sayounara in no time. How's the skimmer working out for you? I see some gross looking skimmate in the first shot :grimacing-face:
Thanks and I sure hope so!
Skimmer is good after some tech support from @WalkerLoves_TheOcean ! Very touchy but works well, finally getting a little thick stuff! I just tested parameters
IMG_5061.png

This is a day after water change so way better than normal, plan to test every few days to get a better idea. Wish they could just say put!
nicolas cage stay GIF
Not concerned with Alk, that’s what redsea blue bucket mixes too so I’ll have to dose ARF if I want that up. I have everything needed including dosing pump but no real need for all that yet.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and I sure hope so!
Skimmer is good after some tech support from @WalkerLoves_TheOcean ! Very touchy but works well, finally getting a little thick stuff! I just tested parameters
IMG_5061.png

This is a day after water change so way better than normal, plan to test every few days to get a better idea. Wish they could just say put!
nicolas cage stay GIF
Not concerned with Alk, that’s what redsea blue bucket mixes too so I’ll have to dose ARF if I want that up. I have everything needed including dosing pump but no real need for all that yet.
Glad to hear that you got your skimmer working!

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to hear that you got your skimmer working!
Yes thank you thank you, missed that in the update. That thing gave me some problems, ready to beat it with a hammer, user error I’m sure and no idea what I did to cause or how I fixed it. Took it apart 3 times before it started working good. I think possibly the reef snow may have caused it to clog, maybe not I dunno. Plan to do it again soon so I guess I’ll find out!

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update time:
Been battling some cyano, ended giving up on the microbacter clean and bacteria. Started a chemiclean dose, ended up going a day longer than the instructions (3 days total). Ran my skimmer without the collection cup to help oxygenate the tank during this time. Did a big water change yesterday and things seem all good and happy! Sand is clean is the important part, haven’t touched the sandbed or glass today. One of my toads is finally starting to open again… or more than it has since August! Haven’t done any testing but happy with the results so far! While dealing with the cyano I also noticed a few very small patches of gha, which I have been aggressively scrubbing when I notice, has grown on the base of one leather…not cool. Turned down my white light to 6-10%. On the fence if I’m going to stick with this light. Fish are good, wrasse is getting a lot more color (kinda pale before). Need some more cuc and maybe another order of pods. Added my filter roller back to try again. Did get the nem guard and this nem is getting big and beautiful… still think it’s a bad idea, would take up a ton of room and really limit any further coral and would have to get rid of some of my leathers. Clearly not thinking about it lol more I’m tired of looking at that box in my main tank!
IMG_5119.jpeg
IMG_5120.jpeg
IMG_5121.jpeg
IMG_5122.jpeg
IMG_5123.jpeg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time:
Been battling some cyano, ended giving up on the microbacter clean and bacteria. Started a chemiclean dose, ended up going a day longer than the instructions (3 days total). Ran my skimmer without the collection cup to help oxygenate the tank during this time. Did a big water change yesterday and things seem all good and happy! Sand is clean is the important part, haven’t touched the sandbed or glass today. One of my toads is finally starting to open again… or more than it has since August! Haven’t done any testing but happy with the results so far! While dealing with the cyano I also noticed a few very small patches of gha, which I have been aggressively scrubbing when I notice, has grown on the base of one leather…not cool. Turned down my white light to 6-10%. On the fence if I’m going to stick with this light. Fish are good, wrasse is getting a lot more color (kinda pale before). Need some more cuc and maybe another order of pods. Added my filter roller back to try again. Did get the nem guard and this nem is getting big and beautiful… still think it’s a bad idea, would take up a ton of room and really limit any further coral and would have to get rid of some of my leathers. Clearly not thinking about it lol more I’m tired of looking at that box in my main tank!
IMG_5119.jpeg
IMG_5120.jpeg
IMG_5121.jpeg
IMG_5122.jpeg
IMG_5123.jpeg
The tank is looking awesome! :)

I just put in a order for tig copepods from AlgaeBarn. I am curious to know which pods you get?

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks!
I’ve used quite a few different brands blends so far. What I have added to this tank so far is 1 jar galaxy pods from algae barn and a large amount of titanic pod blend from Reef by Steele. I’ve used Dinkins and nutramire also. Most impressed with Reef by Steele, most bang for your buck in my opinion. I’ve also been dosing phyto to help feed them along with the coral. My fav in that is reef nutrition!

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thanks!
I’ve used quite a few different brands blends so far. What I have added to this tank so far is 1 jar galaxy pods from algae barn and a large amount of titanic pod blend from Reef by Steele. I’ve used Dinkins and nutramire also. Most impressed with Reef by Steele, most bang for your buck in my opinion. I’ve also been dosing phyto to help feed them along with the coral. My fav in that is reef nutrition!
Wow, thanks for the shout out. @Ocean_Queenie and I really appreciate hearing things like this. Let’s us know we are doing right by our customers.

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super lazy weekend with nothing done...rebirth island lol I'm a loser! Means busy evening, water change, and testing! Small brown patches growing in the sand but not bad just hoping its diatoms. Thinking of moving my rock work/corals around a bit. Need to get the Fiji leather moved over and a few more mushrooms. New corals come tomorrow for the 45 so need to make room, only been waiting a month for them to ship!

Exciting news!
-Ordered a Yasha goby and candy strip pistol! Tired of waiting on my LFS to order the flame fin goby and I talked myself out of one in that time. These seem a bit more active maybe, hopefully comes in happy and healthy Wed! Almost got a pygmy hawkfish also but my better judgement kicked in.....for once lol!
-Also boosting my CUC, ordered some that will be split between the tanks, got 10 cerith, 10 nassarius, and 4 turbo snails!
-Lastly a refreshing order of @Reef By Steele Titanic Pods!! Thought 32oz was a bit much last order so 16oz split between the 15 & 45 should be perfect!

Filter roller seems to be working well since putting back in, turning about double what I had been doing and much happier with the water clarity. Not loving the flow still, not sure if I will ever be happy with it.
Really conflicted with my lighting, while searching for a used Prime 16 I somehow talked myself into upgrading my other tank lighting.... So no I need to decided if I want to keep the NooPsyche mini (which is fine but don't love) or put a Hydra 32 on this. Seems a bit overkill but I won't get much selling it so that's the hang up. Waiting to rent the par meter again, so will need to make that decision sooner than later.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back