New IM Nuvo 15 Journey

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Entered the drawing for a free Reef breeder Pico light, lucky enough to win! Thought I’ve got enough spare stuff to set up a second tank…well not so much, should have known.
“Plan”
IMG_4280.jpeg

Once cycled will add PODS and most of my soft corals/leathers slowly. Pick put some clowns and maybe 1-2 more other little fish down the road.
Equipment List:
IMG_4278.jpeg

IM Nuvo 15 on a spare JBJ stand
Caribsea ocean direct sand 10lb
Caribsea rock 10-15lb
TMC 1500 return pump
VCA dual RFG nozzles
Duetto 2 ATO w/ 5g revisor
SLW-10-haven’t added yet till the water clears
BRS 100w titanium heater w/ WiFi inkbird
Intank filter floss basket
Brightwell BioBlocks
Using Fritz turbo start and some old Dr. Tim’s ammonium chloride. Fingers crossed I dosed it right lol.
Have had some rubble rock cooking in the main I’ll add tomorrow!
IMG_4282.jpeg
IMG_4284.jpeg

My rock scape was something I tried as all one piece, used frag plugs to try and elevate. Seems pretty solid with the sand in.
This was all set up and wet tonight, everything seems good and working!

IMG_4287.jpeg
IMG_4286.jpeg
IMG_4290.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing what this turns into!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still in that wonderful cycling phase. Was hopeful I could do it faster than my first, seems to be almost there. Just waiting on those nitrites to start to fall. Not thinking I ordered 2 packs of galaxy pods from algae barn, it came Wednesday so I’ve put one in my main tank and the other is still floating, I’ve been cracking the lid and putting a drop of phyto in to keep them kickin. May go grab some clowns tomorrow if I can get an appointment. I am extremely lucky enough to have a clown fish breeder kinda close so no qt required, that is the best thing since sliced bread haha.
So I’ve been playing around with the light, not a big fan of no controllability. Granted I have had the light on for maybe 5min in total but went ahead and got a NooPsyxhe K7 mini I’d been reading about and for the price it is worth a shot! Came yesterday so haven’t messed with it. Here’s after the tank has settled down, sand is way finer than I thought.
IMG_4401.jpeg
Just been throwing in some rubble rock to mix in, nothing permanent, have another 2+lbs of rubble rock I’ve been cooking I’ll toss in tonight.
Happy Friday!!

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My local coral dealer hooked it up today!! I’ve always wanted just a little, just for fun. And it’s on a stick! No brainer but there was a catch. Had some nasty palys on the plug growing up the stick, so dumped that
IMG_4407.jpeg

drilled a small hole through the top of a new frag plug, a little glue and it perfect, first new coral! Looks like like a dandelion and I totally dig it!
IMG_4409.jpeg

Still pretty angry but it’s doing the pulsing! Will keep it next door until I’m ready!

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welp update time:
Tank is cycling, all the live rock is in and now just wait test repeat. Unfortunately it didn’t happen before I had scheduled a visit to “the clown fish shop” a local clown fish breeder. I purchased my first pair from him almost 1 year ago and the clowns are doing great so had to return! Has an impressive setup out of his house! Took some photos but they don’t do it justice, if you’re looking for a great deal check him out at

I decided prior to set up my qt for any purchase I might make and boy did I find 2 gems! One is a mocha storm the other is a crimson storm, they are settling in very nicely in the qt! Hopefully get them moved soon but they will be fine chillin there for the week or so, hopefully not longer!!
IMG_4454.jpeg
IMG_4458.jpeg
Not the best photos but I’m worn out!
He was also selling RBTAs for a steal but declined as I have a nem coming next week for my other setup He said I have a Colorado someone gave me, it’s not doing well, do you want it? Ummm yes! So acquiring that was unexpected, it looks pretty bad but I’ll see if I can save it, not a lot of hope and was not ready for it. Had to make a diy acclimation box so I’m all over the darn place now!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp update time:
Tank is cycling, all the live rock is in and now just wait test repeat. Unfortunately it didn’t happen before I had scheduled a visit to “the clown fish shop” a local clown fish breeder. I purchased my first pair from him almost 1 year ago and the clowns are doing great so had to return! Has an impressive setup out of his house! Took some photos but they don’t do it justice, if you’re looking for a great deal check him out at

I decided prior to set up my qt for any purchase I might make and boy did I find 2 gems! One is a mocha storm the other is a crimson storm, they are settling in very nicely in the qt! Hopefully get them moved soon but they will be fine chillin there for the week or so, hopefully not longer!!
IMG_4454.jpeg
IMG_4458.jpeg
He was also selling RBTAs for a steal but declined as I have a nem coming next week for my other setup He said I have a Colorado someone gave me, it’s not doing well, do you want it? Ummm yes! So acquiring that was unexpected, it looks pretty bad but I’ll see if I can save it, not a lot of hope and was not ready for it. Had to make a diy acclimation box so I’m all over the darn place now!
Wow, absolutely beautiful clowns! Great to hear they are getting along as well! Can't wait to see them in the main tank.

And I swear, it's a dream to have a reef business out of your own home! That must be sweet to have, glad you found a good place!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are alive and eating this morning, wahoo! Always a little panic each morning for the first few days lol!
Glad to hear. They are such a beautiful pair!

welshd24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp update time:

IMG_4454.jpeg
IMG_4458.jpeg
whats your method for qt?

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
whats your method for qt?
QT tank just a hold over, being from the breeder it’s pretty unlikely to have any disease or pest. I’ve got an ammonia badge, hob filter, power head, lil heater, some pvc, and change the water every 5 days if it comes to that. I try to keep everything easy you clean and breakdown/start up fast if needed. Trying not to over feed is the only hard part lol.

welshd24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tank just a hold over, being from the breeder it’s pretty unlikely to have any disease or pest. I’ve got an ammonia badge, hob filter, power head, lil heater, some pvc, and change the water every 5 days if it comes to that. I try to keep everything easy you clean and breakdown/start up fast if needed. Trying not to over feed is the only hard part lol.
Makes sense was also curious as to why you where qt fish from a breeder they could still have something on them but unlikely since its kinda hard to raise clownfish.

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Makes sense was also curious as to why you where qt fish from a breeder they could still have something on them but unlikely since its kinda hard to raise clownfish.
Yup just a little hotel! Not ideal
The first 2 I purchased from them are coming up on a year old. They ended up infected by a new fish I had “QT’d” when I was still learning… still am! They survived but I learned a big lesson, which I later relearned lol.

welshd24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup just a little hotel! Not ideal
The first 2 I purchased from them are coming up on a year old. They ended up infected by a new fish I had “QT’d” when I was still learning… still am! They survived but I learned a big lesson, which I later relearned lol.
Yea im at the point where if i want to add new fish i need to qt them most of the time i just observe them and am trying to learn more of qting better.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ollie67 hey here is the side by side of a weeks worth of growth. Granted it was dipped and placed within hrs of the first pic but looks quite a bit larger
IMG_4410.jpeg
IMG_4532.jpeg

Little to close to the rock just looking at this, fixing to move it haha
Oh wow that's some good growth for a week! I forgot that yours is on a stick LOL, looks like a dandelion. I like it!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow that's some good growth for a week! I forgot that yours is on a stick LOL, looks like a dandelion. I like it!
Yeah, it does. I think it looks more like a palm tree, and I love palm trees, if that thing was green, I would be on the hunt for one until the day I die, lol!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back