IM Nuvo 15 screen/acrylic top DIY vs. buying vs. high end?

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean theyd only be able to go over the back wall or if they really wanna die they could clear both i suppose. Anywhere else the gap doesnt really matter since well they would hit the screen
Gotcha! Thank you again for your help!

Happy Thanksgiving! I bought the pre-made lid from IM and am very happy with it. It is a solid build and fits perfectly.

https://www.innovative-marine.com/s...Screen-Lid-For-Nuvo-Fusion-15-Cube-p490658559
Mine is on order. I was a little unsure, but after posting this and then finding out it's on sale, it's kind of a no brainer. If it doesn't work out, I'll consider an upgrade.

EDIT: And happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Thank you for your help!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Obv you could probably diy something to achieve same thing but you get the idea
I was really considering DIY, but at $23 the IM kit seems like a better fit. We'll see ;-)

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You now, because I am tight in the wallet, maybe I will order the IM frame kit and the BRS screen material. I think this would get me going, and in the future I could upgrade to one of the fancy acrylic tops if needed. WOuld you recommend this?

Thank you for your help!
No problem! I think it gets you started, I recommend a spline tool from Amazon too so you don't have to be an idiot like I was and do the spline by fingertip like I did (well initially, I grabbed one of my leather working tools to give me a bit more leverage, but it was a pita) They're like 5 bucks on amazon.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate the holiday :)

I have an IM Nuvo 15 that I'd like to buy or build a top/screen to keep fish/critters safely inside the tank. Please, what are my best options, with a strong consideration on value? I tend to be a budget reefer, and I don't really want to spend for the super-pricey acrylic versions (unless someone can convince me??).

I see BRS has some of their kits on sale, and I know that most to all of what I'd need to build my own screen top can be found at the orange big box store, but I don't actually know how to build a screen top for my tank :-(

What do you guys suggest for value and time spent? Would you suggest cobbling things together from scratch from a box hardware store, buying a DIY kit from BRS, or going whole Thanksgiving Day turkey-bird and getting one of the high-end acrylic options?

Thank you very much for your help!
Honestly for mine I just put a piece of acrylic over it and called it good.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! I think it gets you started, I recommend a spline tool from Amazon too so you don't have to be an idiot like I was and do the spline by fingertip like I did (well initially, I grabbed one of my leather working tools to give me a bit more leverage, but it was a pita) They're like 5 bucks on amazon.
Thank you again. I do have several of the spline tools from fixing window screens around the house, so all good there.

Honestly for mine I just put a piece of acrylic over it and called it good.
Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I'm sure that works, but I'd like something a little more purpose built. I like that the IM frame kit sits down in the tank kind of low profile like, and doesn't sit on top of the glass.

Thanks again for the help!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again. I do have several of the spline tools from fixing window screens around the house, so all good there.

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I'm sure that works, but I'd like something a little more purpose built. I like that the IM frame kit sits down in the tank kind of low profile like, and doesn't sit on top of the glass.

Thanks again for the help!
Hum I need to look into that, didnt know they made one which is why I did the jimmy rig option lol I bet the kit looks way better

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum I need to look into that, didnt know they made one which is why I did the jimmy rig option lol I bet the kit looks way better
Yeah, I honestly didn’t realize that IM made a kit themselves until last night lol. Here’s what I ordered, it’s on sale at BRS right now:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/15-nuvo-fusion-safescreen-mesh-screen-lid-innovative-marine.html

If you look, it’s very low profile. They have corner pieces that rest on the tank, keeping the bulk of the frame largely hidden. And, I anticipate liking these corners more than the four plastic clips that came with the stock screens on my IM Nuvo Fusion 10’s. Those silly things always move, are prone to getting lost, and in my experience cause a trickle of a leak if the water level meets the bottom of this clips.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back