DIY Screen top for Biocube 32G

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello I just upgraded my lighting to the AI PRIME 16HD and was wanting to make a screentop for my tank.

I really didnt want to do it myself but i cant find anyone that makes screentops.

Has anyone made a screentop for their biocube if so could you show/explain how you did it. I don't want to have to remove the top trim around the tank. I would probably end up cracking the glass or something.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one once. It was extremely functional, but there are probably much more aesthetically pleasing ways to do it (I simply used leftovers from other screen top projects). If you want one that looks amazing, check out Octolids

I simply made a traditional screen top (frame, corners, and 1/4 clear netting) that rested on the lip of the trim and went from the back wall towards the front and stopped right before the biocube started to "curve outwards". To fill this gap in, I simply cut out a piece of clear acrylic and used a sanding bit attached to my dremel to trace the front curve (a router would obviously work a lot better for this application). After that, I'm pretty sure I used 2 part epoxy to attach the acrylic to the metal frame (acrylic attached on the underside and was notched in slightly so the frame could rest flat).

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think a glass lid would work okay? Idk if that will block light and stuff. Would I have to clean it very often? Like every day if water keeps getting on it from evaporation.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made one once. It was extremely functional, but there are probably much more aesthetically pleasing ways to do it (I simply used leftovers from other screen top projects). If you want one that looks amazing, check out Octolids

I simply made a traditional screen top (frame, corners, and 1/4 clear netting) that rested on the lip of the trim and went from the back wall towards the front and stopped right before the biocube started to "curve outwards". To fill this gap in, I simply cut out a piece of clear acrylic and used a sanding bit attached to my dremel to trace the front curve (a router would obviously work a lot better for this application). After that, I'm pretty sure I used 2 part epoxy to attach the acrylic to the metal frame (acrylic attached on the underside and was notched in slightly so the frame could rest flat).
I looked at octolids very awesome looking kids but will take almost 2 months to complete. Also a little pricey for me wasn’t wanting to spend over 100$ for a lid for a 32g tank.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Dana found clean glass blocks about 10% of light. I'm guessing the number would be higher once you factor in salt creep/evaporation. That being said, some people enjoy the use of glass lids to cut down on evaporation or to trap heat. I'm not a fan of them in this situation given how close the rim is to the surface of the water (necessitating frequent cleaning) and reduced gas exchange, but if that the solution that speaks to you, go for it :)

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own lid out of 1.5" acrylic strips and mosquito netting from a local fabric store. Acrylic is really easy to cut corners or a curves with.

IMG_20180512_172835.jpg

Cut an 1/8" slot to hold screen spline. I used a router with a makeshift guide from a scrap of acrylic.

IMG_20180513_230810.jpg

Then put your screen on and trim the excess.

IMG_20180518_125413.jpg

Cheap and easy.

IMG_20180518_125532.jpg

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I built my own lid out of 1.5" acrylic strips and mosquito netting from a local fabric store. Acrylic is really easy to cut corners or a curves with.

IMG_20180512_172835.jpg

Cut an 1/8" slot to hold screen spline. I used a router with a makeshift guide from a scrap of acrylic.

IMG_20180513_230810.jpg

Then put your screen on and trim the excess.

IMG_20180518_125413.jpg

Cheap and easy.

IMG_20180518_125532.jpg
very nice but my tank is bowfront so im not sure exactly how i should do this.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice but my tank is bowfront so im not sure exactly how i should do this.

A bowfront would be easy. I would use a piece of cardboard for a template, then transfer it to a piece of acrylic. Then you can cut out the curved piece of acrylic with what ever saw you have available and sand it smooth. That's how I made the corners to go around the return line.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back