DIY Skimmer from wide mouth 5gal bottle

Stlouphil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is not a new idea, but I need to upgrade skimmer and do not have available funds to buy big so diy is the way to go. I purchased a wide mouth 5 gal bottle. Here is a quick sketch of what I have in mind. Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome.

3CE17A86-D7AC-4110-93FA-2BE4F6D24316.jpeg

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good looking idea (your drawing skills are a small step up from mine lol). Only thing I would add would be the sedra pumps are not very efficient. If it is a pump you have in hand thats one thing but if you are going to buy a pump I would consider buying a jeabo dc pump and use this needle wheel mod (link below). I would thing the results would be way better.

http://dluphoto.synology.me/impeller/

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my Lifereef, the bubbles are dispensed essentially into a cup on the bottom, which then directs them back up. I think it also helps minimize the amount of bubbles that exit the skimmer.

OP
OP
Stlouphil

Stlouphil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good looking idea (your drawing skills are a small step up from mine lol). Only thing I would add would be the sedra pumps are not very efficient. If it is a pump you have in hand thats one thing but if you are going to buy a pump I would consider buying a jeabo dc pump and use this needle wheel mod (link below). I would thing the results would be way better.

http://dluphoto.synology.me/impeller/

I'll keep that in mind. I currently have an ASM 3 that is running with the sedra. Sedra being available will be the initial pump. Thanks.

OP
OP
Stlouphil

Stlouphil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my Lifereef, the bubbles are dispensed essentially into a cup on the bottom, which then directs them back up. I think it also helps minimize the amount of bubbles that exit the skimmer.

Thanks! Awesome idea. That will also make sure that only water is recirculated and not bubbles.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a bubble plate in an old asm g5 taking the lifereef design a step further. Issue I see here is how would you get a pip into the bottle then attach it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back