DIY Stand for 48 x 36 x 20

RevAequitas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

As I wait for my custom SCA I'm trying to get the ball rolling on the stand in the meantime. I've seen King of DIY and Rocket Engineer's dimensional lumber plans but I have seen numerous posts and comments regarding how they're way over built as far as strength and that a plywood build would give me more room. That being said, I am not too comfortable figuring out how to design this so I thought I'd tap into the wealth of knowledge here and see what you all think and suggest.

The tank is 48 x 36 x 20
The Sump is 36 x 18

My primary concern with dimensional lumber is loosing space and I want to be able to slide the sump from the left hand side, obviously requiring an opening in the side and the front. I would like the stand to be flush with the tank.

Thanks for the help,

Corey

drw02.24.jpg

Reefer of Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no direct stand building experience and can quote no real data on strength, but here is my take from being a professional carpenter and cabinet builder for 20yrs. Both options will work and have benefits and draw backs.

Plywood - It will be supportive with a proper design, lighter, less material=more room. It is however expensive right now, inconsistent in manufacturing quality, not ideal for long term construction and can be difficult to work with full sheets if not properly set up.
Dimensional lumber - will be supportive with proper design, cheap, easy to work with, ideal for long term installations. But it does require a more substantial structure, can be prone to warping and is rather heavy.
Something to consider could be a LVL and plywood construction. LVL(laminated veneer lumber) members can bear larger spans than dimensional lumber and don’t warp. My next build will be a plywood/LVL design.

Upvote 0

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, my design is functional, takes up space, is easier to build and requires less skill :). It is intended as a durable solution but has plenty of room for improvement if one has the skills and the tools.

In this instance, the stand needs to support about 1500 pounds. Even using plywood I personally would employ an internal frame of some kind. Oak 1x4s pocket screwed together with attached plywood, or like I did, a 5/4X4 clear pine frame with pocket screws and decorative (vs structural) panels.
BFC2CBC1-C90C-4C2A-B336-DE908F162106.jpeg

The white frame is structural, the wood panels are for looks. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never felt comfortable with those stands that come with the tank so I have always built my own stands. While I too hate loosing some space due to using demensional lumber I also look at how much money I am gonna have invested in my tank, then I ask myself is over building a stand all that bad an idea? What I have done is build my stands a little wider and longer to compensate for the lost space underneath my tank for the sumps. I am a fine wood kinda guy and will typically use 2x4's, 4x4's depending on how large the tank is for the frame and then skin them with Oak Plywood, stain and varnish them. They are usually a bit heavy as a result, but I know they wont fail on me even if they get wet and they look pretty nice too.

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back