Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see if we can get some eyes on this

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I saw a thread where someone was using an Ikea cabinet that fit pretty well.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't specifically done a stand for a IM Nuvo, but am in the process (stalled) for a 35 cube....paneled construction. This would work for your tank as well.

Off the shelf 1 x 3 and 1 x 6 from HD, as well as the plywood panels. The door is held in place by Neo magnets countersunk onto the door and side pieces.

35 Cube Stand 1.jpg

Door open:

35 Cube Stand 2.jpg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I saw a thread where someone was using an Ikea cabinet that fit pretty well.
I used Sektion cabinets on both my 10 and 20 gallon IM fusion tanks for about two years total.

The Ikea Sektion wall cabinets (with a topper) fit the traditional 15" deep Nuvo's perfectly, but need some reinforcing on the back for long-term safety imo. The lagoons are deeper tank, so it doesn't work with them. It can work with the base cabinets, but those also require more bracing, especially since there are only three contact points (rear and sides), for all of that weight. For the nuvo 20 / 30L, the Sektion wall units get joined together so you have weight bearing points directly under the tank front to back, like this:

Also very important to get a solid wood topper, you don't want any type of flexing to occur over time. By the time you do it properly, there isn't a whole lot of savings vs the nuvo stands for the 20-30 sizes. Water on the cabinet panels can destroy them rather quickly too, but there are tons of face finish options so they're nice to tie into other furniture.

MasterDinh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Sektion cabinets on both my 10 and 20 gallon IM fusion tanks for about two years total.

The Ikea Sektion wall cabinets (with a topper) fit the traditional 15" deep Nuvo's perfectly, but need some reinforcing on the back for long-term safety imo. The lagoons are deeper tank, so it doesn't work with them. It can work with the base cabinets, but those also require more bracing, especially since there are only three contact points (rear and sides), for all of that weight. For the nuvo 20 / 30L, the Sektion wall units get joined together so you have weight bearing points directly under the tank front to back, like this:

Also very important to get a solid wood topper, you don't want any type of flexing to occur over time. By the time you do it properly, there isn't a whole lot of savings vs the nuvo stands for the 20-30 sizes. Water on the cabinet panels can destroy them rather quickly too, but there are tons of face finish options so they're nice to tie into other furniture.

Do you have a full picture of what this stand look like?

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thinking of doing this with the 25 im but how do you reinforce the cabinet and what topper are you on using on top of the cabinet?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I capped the bottom/top with a piece of finished birch, I believe it was. As for the reinforcing, metal 90º brackets and some of the ones used to join 2x4's along the back like a long piece of banding. The caps really help keep it stable, but the major issue was any type of water leak that wasn't cleaned up immediately meant the compressed wood those ikea stands are made out of would start to expand.

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I capped the bottom/top with a piece of finished birch, I believe it was. As for the reinforcing, metal 90º brackets and some of the ones used to join 2x4's along the back like a long piece of banding. The caps really help keep it stable, but the major issue was any type of water leak that wasn't cleaned up immediately meant the compressed wood those ikea stands are made out of would start to expand.
Dumb question but what is capping? Also I have the 19 inch deep tank will that work on the sektion cabinet because they make a 24 by 24 cabinet with metal braces on the front and back of them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back