DIY stand question for long frag tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter pluikens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 11, 2017
Messages
1,107
Reaction score
702
Location
Minneapolis, MN
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built a couple stands for 4'x2' footprint 120s but this will be my first stand for a long tank. I like the rocket engineer template but I have some clarifying questions for my particular use.

96" × 18" footprint, glass tank, only 80 gallons at about 12" tall. If I have 1 center leg support, can I use 2x6 top rail? If not, can I use a 2x6 top rail if I have two supports? What distance on center should the braces be that run from the front to back top rails?

Thanks in advance!
 
I would be 100% comfortable with a single center brace with a single 2x6 header. 80 gallons isn't a ton of weight, if you went double 2x6 front and back headers, your could easily have no braces.

As far as front to back supports, every 24" should be fine (assuming plywood top).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new