DIY Stand question

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after browsing some threads, there seems to be a continuity that stands being made from 2x4s are using one middle support brace up top (where the tank goes) and two middle support braces at the bottom (where the stand and floor meet). any reason for this? I was going to do 2 middle supports on the top and bottom.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can tell you is my reasoning...

I used RocketEngineer's design (which interestingly shows no lower cross beams)

Stand.JPG

When I built my stand I included two lower cross braces because the sump wasn't going to be directly over the front/back 2x4's. On the top, I simply used one to "square" the two beams...and the tank was going to rest on the outer frame.

OurStand.jpg

Would also recommend topping the stand with a piece of 3/4 plywood to help in leveling out the slight imperfections in the dimensional lumber.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wonderful. good info thank you.

I built the basic outline for the stand (the top rectangle, bottom rectangle and the supports). need to add the outside braces and middle braces. tank is IM 30g L, 36 inches long. will do 2 braces up top and on the bottom

Best I can tell you is my reasoning...

Would also recommend topping the stand with a piece of 3/4 plywood to help in leveling out the slight imperfections in the dimensional lumber.

regarding leveling out- the initial build is not perfectly level. pretty good though. should i sand as much as possible to get it even before putting a plywood board?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the plywood is finish grade it should be flat. Get the stand as flat as you can or use shims between the stand and top.

Skazila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used that same design for my stand. I ended up using razor blades for shims between the top and frame. Regular shims were too big.

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the plywood is finish grade it should be flat. Get the stand as flat as you can or use shims between the stand and top.
I used that same design for my stand. I ended up using razor blades for shims between the top and frame. Regular shims were too big.

did you guys glue the shims in or just put them there? and is this relatively secure/many people do this? i just cant friggin cut wood 110% perfect lol!

Skazila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No glue. I just put them is place and then screwed the top down. They’re held by pressure. I ended up doing a lot of micro adjusting to get things perfect.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at these designs a lot and have decided to go with 2x2 steel tubing so I can have less interior space taken up by wood. Not too bad price wise if you know someone who can weld.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back