DIY Steel Stand

mortimersnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 26, 2020
Messages
72
Reaction score
28
Location
Denver
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm building a steel stand for a 36"x36" 150gal. How dead flat does it need to be? I've one of my squares is almost dead flat, but the other is has a little wobble from welding warpage. Probably 1/32", maybe 1/16". Tank does have a rim. Can I put that one on the floor and the flatter one under the tank and have it be OK?
 
Last edited:
maybe put foam underneath the tank? i do, maybe an inch thick firm foam same size as the tank
 
If you are placing the tank directly on the steel, it needs to be pretty much dead flat. If you place a buffer between the tank and stand like LeBon mentioned, you should be ok with a small amount of warpage. 1/32" is probably fine, anything over 1/16th I would start to get a little worried. Definitely put the flatter side tank side, the floor probably has more of a variance that 1/32" anyways.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new