DIY sump/refugium

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to build my own sump/refugium for my new tank. Usually I would just buy a custom one but I think it would be fun to build it myself. So I'm looking for ideas or diy plans if anyone has any. Thanks

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was trying to be lazy and have someone on ebay make me on but he took my money and never sent anything. ended up making one from a 40 breeder. i also add a section for a DSB for some mangroves. the glass i got from a local glass place precut and i just had to glue them in place.
making one i think space is the key. how much room and where.

allsump.jpg

gunmod.jpg

sump.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are really nice looking sumps guys!

I think I've decided that I'm going to be using an old 40gal breeder. Now I just need to come up with a design. This sump is going to be mostly a refugium. I've never had a fuge so I'm not entirely sure how to set one up.

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to use a 75g for my in-sump fuge setup. I think I'll use Sump F from Melev's site but maybe do something more. Not sure.

IF you haven't looked at his site for all of the Sump designs, I highly recommend it:
http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend glass over acrylic for a sump made of a glass tank?

i was trying to be lazy and have someone on ebay make me on but he took my money and never sent anything. ended up making one from a 40 breeder. i also add a section for a DSB for some mangroves. the glass i got from a local glass place precut and i just had to glue them in place.
making one i think space is the key. how much room and where.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glass on glass. silicon will not adhere to acrylic. when choosing silicon , GE windows and doors I not II. what i have done and i have done it a bunch of times it take the tank you plan on using to a glass company and let them messure the inside and tell them the height of each baffle. some times they ask to leave the tank some times they might just cut a test one and go from there. they can be off by like 16th but the better the fit the less leakage you will have and it doesnt have to be perfect.

Last edited:

racermike27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used lexan available at home depot to build my sump. It has held up well without any problems for the past year or so.

I have my sump setup as follows:

DRAIN/SKIMMER-->RETURN<---FUGE

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back