DIY sump with Fiji cube baffle set

halfdoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong place.
I have done several things DIY. When I first put my system on it was using a small trickle filter. Then I attached a DIY algae scrubber and due to the extra water if the system power failed I was going to have quite a bit of extra water on the floor. After much searching and I mean hundreds of hours of what was best I went with the FIJI cube Baffle system for a 40 gallon breeder. I want to shout out to them at how awesome this product is. It fit perfectly and I had the system up and running about 2 days later. The quality is fantastic and the socks came with it. Thanks FIJI cube! It has been running a couple of weeks now.
fiji cube sump.JPEG

I have attached my algae scrubber to the refugium for now as I could not get my old algae scrubber to work with this system and it has been so effective that I couldn't just take it offline. I will attach some pics. I have 6 children, 3 in college so I am always looking for lower cost ways without affecting the quality of my tank.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I was contemplating something like this for my spare 40 gallon breeder, but ended up going with a pre-made trigger sump instead. After seeing this I might just do it anyways and use the 40 as a sump after I move ;)

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I was contemplating something like this for my spare 40 gallon breeder, but ended up going with a pre-made trigger sump instead. After seeing this I might just do it anyways and use the 40 as a sump after I move ;)
I also went with the 40B Fiji cube baffle kit. This is my first build but I am really happy with the kit

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re pretty snazzy little kits.
I opted out of using the socks, I just stuffed a bunch of rock rubble in that section.

We’ve got 2 of these kits, 1 for a 20 long, and the one for the 10 gallon.
I did have to trim some of the acrylic to fit the 20 long. Either the tank was too narrow, or the panels too wide, but it all worked out.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opted out of using the socks, I just stuffed a bunch of rock rubble in that section.

I did have to trim some of the acrylic to fit the 20 long. Either the tank was too narrow, or the panels too wide, but it all worked out.
I ended up removing my socks and using the red sea cups with layers of foam. Have three different foams from coarse to fine. I have a small piece of rock in the bottom of each as they tend to float

DaveNJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long has it been installed in the tank? My concern is the baffles cracking the tank walls. I like the sock holder feature.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been installed in the tank? My concern is the baffles cracking the tank walls. I like the sock holder feature.

The 20 long has been plumbed into our 125 for the better part of a year.

The tank cracking, is actually why I had to trim down the panels. But I also should have to done it in the first place, they were too wide, and putting pressure on the glass so I cracked my first tank. Fortunately it happened while the tank was curing in the garage. After I took about 1/4 inch off each one though, it fit like a glove, haven’t had any issues since.

Special K

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at buying this kit as well. Pretty easy to put together and good directions? And why get rid of the socks?

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong place.
I have done several things DIY. When I first put my system on it was using a small trickle filter. Then I attached a DIY algae scrubber and due to the extra water if the system power failed I was going to have quite a bit of extra water on the floor. After much searching and I mean hundreds of hours of what was best I went with the FIJI cube Baffle system for a 40 gallon breeder. I want to shout out to them at how awesome this product is. It fit perfectly and I had the system up and running about 2 days later. The quality is fantastic and the socks came with it. Thanks FIJI cube! It has been running a couple of weeks now.
fiji cube sump.JPEG

I have attached my algae scrubber to the refugium for now as I could not get my old algae scrubber to work with this system and it has been so effective that I couldn't just take it offline. I will attach some pics. I have 6 children, 3 in college so I am always looking for lower cost ways without affecting the quality of my tank.
I’m having trouble screwing in one of the baffles to another, I’m so lost. Can you help me on that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 162

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back