Diy sump

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just purchased a 10-gallon tank so i could make a sump for a 29 gallon I have never done this, and I have no experience with sumps and would like to know what to do first and just what to do overall.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just purchased a 10-gallon tank so i could make a sump for a 29 gallon I have never done this, and I have no experience with sumps and would like to know what to do first and just what to do overall.
Youtube ftw. Better to have a visual aid.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really depends on what you want to do and what equipment you want to use. I Like a simple design (mostly cause it's easy for me to make without it being super ugly haha). One, two, or three baffles (no baffles works too). I also like to use a premade filtersock holder in the first chamber (if you have chambers).

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 g dt

My sump is a 15 g

I would do a 2 chamber sump in your 10 g.

Hope you can get some ideas from this:
20240314_184902.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on what you want to do and what equipment you want to use. I Like a simple design (mostly cause it's easy for me to make without it being super ugly haha). One, two, or three baffles (no baffles works too). I also like to use a premade filtersock holder in the first chamber (if you have chambers).
I am looking at acrylic kits and found some good looking ones I am not a big fan of filter socks considering the maintenance is there any cheap alternative will sponge/filter floss pads work?

OP
OP
K

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 g dt

My sump is a 15 g

I would do a 2 chamber sump in your 10 g.

Hope you can get some ideas from this:
20240314_184902.jpg
Your sumo looks awesome I will definitely look back at this all kits I can find have three compartments and I was planning on acrylic.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking at acrylic kits and found some good looking ones I am not a big fan of filter socks considering the maintenance is there any cheap alternative will sponge/filter floss pads work?
Yeah, foam or filter floss will work, just depends on how you will be holding it/mounting it. One options, and the option I would probably use if I wasn’t using socks (I actually use reef diapers but same principle) is a filter sock holder, a filter cup, and coarse/medium/fine filter foam:

OP
OP
K

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, foam or filter floss will work, just depends on how you will be holding it/mounting it. One options, and the option I would probably use if I wasn’t using socks (I actually use reef diapers but same principle) is a filter sock holder, a filter cup, and coarse/medium/fine filter foam:

That looks awesome so do you just put circular foam in it?

OP
OP
K

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also what pump would you suggest and how do you hook it to the tank.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sumo looks awesome I will definitely look back at this all kits I can find have three compartments and I was planning on acrylic.
Thanks!

I went to the hardware store and had glass cut for mine, super simple and cheap.

Those sump baffle kits are pretty sweet though.

I think there are a few "show your sump" threads. I would look at those for more ideas.

I thought this was pretty cool:

Attachments

• 20230427_001147.mp4
    44 MB

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those kits and it worked fine. I eventually upgraded to a filter roller and just ripped the filter sock section out of it (sliced my finger open in the process too).

One thing to note is that silicone caulk sticks really well to glass and almost not at all to the acrylic. You basically end up using enough on both sides of the joint that it's physically held in place.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch coral euphoria on youtube. I just eatched his sump video last week. All of his videos are great. Especially the bucket refugium!

OP
OP
K

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello another question does anyone know of any good cheap HOB overflows?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Kade76 I would post a thread with looking for hob overflow. There is probably somebody on here that has one lying around.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back