DIY sump

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone could help me design a sump. I have a 15 gallon tank and I have sheets of glass that I can use as baffles I just don't know where to place the baffles and how to do it. I'm looking for pictures or diagrams along with measurements

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find out how much space you would need for the skimmer section. for a sump that small, I would say just do 2 chambers, one for the skimmer and one for the return. (two baffles is all that you need)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be stickies in the DIY forum with plenty of pictures of sumps.. Find the best water depth for your skimmer and cut your baffle height accordingly... Leave about 1" in between them and 1" to 1-1/2" gap under the center baffle for better flow.. Hth

OP
OP
rob92

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks when I finally start working in it and get it done I want to be able to use it on a 50 gallon do you think that this size sump would work?

reefernutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever sump you design, make sure that you make the baffles low enough to handle any backflow from a power outage. A lot of folks put tall baffles in their sump and when the power goes off it can't handle the backflow = floor full of water and ****** off wife/significant other.

OP
OP
rob92

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tank size should I consider to build a sump for a 50 gallon and what tank size would work for the 15 gallon sump I want to work on? I might just skip the 15 and get a bigger tank for a DIY sump

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back