DIY SUMP

Sammierich11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I’ve decided that I’m probably going to go with either a 40g Breeder or a 55g tank when I start my first salt water aquarium.

I am debating on making my own sump, rather than buy one. Problem is, I have never used a sump, so I know almost nothing about set up and what it needs. So, I come to you with some questions!

1.What size sump would you recommend for a 40-55g tank?
2. I have a 10g tank I have two freshwater mollies in, would that work to convert to a sump?
3. Best informative videos on how to build a sump?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I would say for size, as big as will fit. I have never heard anyone complaining they had extra room in the sump! As for designs you can make it as simple or complicated as you want really, but I think it really helps if you know what you want to do with it. Ex: grow chaeto, house a skimmer, hold your heater, room for a carbon reactor, and many other possibilities. If it were me though I would at least go with a 20 gal tank. Petco does a dollar per gallon sale all the time so you’d only be out another $20 and have double the volume and a 10 gallon for quarantine later.

there are quite a few good build threads here that can show you how/what is possible as well as a few other websites and YouTube videos, just search diy sump and youll find a ton. The other question is are you going to order baffles or cut them yourself?

Have fun and watch out for sharp corners!

OP
OP
S

Sammierich11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I would say for size, as big as will fit. I have never heard anyone complaining they had extra room in the sump! As for designs you can make it as simple or complicated as you want really, but I think it really helps if you know what you want to do with it. Ex: grow chaeto, house a skimmer, hold your heater, room for a carbon reactor, and many other possibilities. If it were me though I would at least go with a 20 gal tank. Petco does a dollar per gallon sale all the time so you’d only be out another $20 and have double the volume and a 10 gallon for quarantine later.

there are quite a few good build threads here that can show you how/what is possible as well as a few other websites and YouTube videos, just search diy sump and youll find a ton. The other question is are you going to order baffles or cut them yourself?

Have fun and watch out for sharp corners!
Thanks for the quick reply! I hadn’t even considered that, but I’d say probably order them? I didn’t know you could even do that.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) There are a few companies that sell them. Google diy sump baffle kit. Only problem is that most of them are acrylic, which is not the best to get to adhere to glass. Also it swells minutely when in water over time. I cant speak to the kits as I know quite a few people have had good luck with them, but I did diy acrylic baffles once and had the pressure on one over time crack my sump(water level difference between chambers was too high I guess ;Bored).:(

i had a glass shop cut me some which worked well, but was like $80. But, you could probably find someone to do it cheaper, i am not exactly spoiled for choice. This last go round I pulled apart an old 55 gallon tank I had laying around and bought a glass cutter and running pliers for like $15 And saved a ton of money. Wasn’t that hard either, but if you go that route make sure to wear leather gloves and safety glasses.

The next thing you will run into will be what kind of silicon to use. I have used GE1 and it was alright, but scs1200 was WAAAAY better. I got it on amazon.

OP
OP
S

Sammierich11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info in the link, thanks!
:) There are a few companies that sell them. Google diy sump baffle kit. Only problem is that most of them are acrylic, which is not the best to get to adhere to glass. Also it swells minutely when in water over time. I cant speak to the kits as I know quite a few people have had good luck with them, but I did diy acrylic baffles once and had the pressure on one over time crack my sump(water level difference between chambers was too high I guess ;Bored).:(

i had a glass shop cut me some which worked well, but was like $80. But, you could probably find someone to do it cheaper, i am not exactly spoiled for choice. This last go round I pulled apart an old 55 gallon tank I had laying around and bought a glass cutter and running pliers for like $15 And saved a ton of money. Wasn’t that hard either, but if you go that route make sure to wear leather gloves and safety glasses.

The next thing you will run into will be what kind of silicon to use. I have used GE1 and it was alright, but scs1200 was WAAAAY better. I got it on amazon.
Thank you! I will have to look into it, I live in a very rural area in Missouri, and my options are always limited! I may have a go at doing it myself, we will see.

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ OP

i'm with you. do it yourself. it'll be an experiment and fun doing the research. have a look on craigslist for 'free fish tanks' or 'free glass' and see if you can make it match up. a video below for your thought...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 100 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back