DIY Tank Dimension Questions

Reefkeeper14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am interested in building my own tank. I am really interested in creating a shallow tank I was thinking probably 16" but would only fill too around 15". My current plan would be a 84 gallon tank with dimensions of 3ft by 3ft by 16". I was planning to go with 1/2" acrylic. I wanted to get some opinions on what kind of bracing if any people would suggest. I have to buy acrylic as a 48" by 96" sheet and additional cuts are free so I am able to add bracing at little too no cost, but would still prefer not too if it isn't necessary.

Thank You
Cole

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cole,

If I were building the tank for myself, I'd probably eurobrace it, but wouldn't put any cross members given the height of the water and thickness of acrylic.

OP
OP
Reefkeeper14

Reefkeeper14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cole,

If I were building the tank for myself, I'd probably eurobrace it, but wouldn't put any cross members given the height of the water and thickness of acrylic.

Thank You for the reply, How wide of a piece would you suggest using for the Eurobracing?

OP
OP
Reefkeeper14

Reefkeeper14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was actually reconsidering my current dimensions and thinking of going with a smaller tank with dimensions of about 44" by 24" by 14" probably would fill the tank to 13". Would I be able to get away with 1/2 acrylic without using a Eurobase.

Also if you do not think I could do a rimless tank, at what height do you think a rimless tank would become feasible?

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back