DIY Tank set up questions

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about putting together a tank system being 30 w x 20 h x 36 d. the back 12" being a sump area with the front 30x20x24 being the main display tank. I was looking for ideas/suggestions on what to do for the baffles and different areas for the sump system. I definitely want enough room for a refugium, but am unsure how to best set this up for flow and filtration. Either having two returns (one on each side of the tank and over flow in the middle) or just one (with overflow on one side and return on the other.) Definitely a glass tank, possibly have the baffles be acrylic.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about putting together a tank system being 30 w x 20 h x 36 d. the back 12" being a sump area with the front 30x20x24 being the main display tank. I was looking for ideas/suggestions on what to do for the baffles and different areas for the sump system. I definitely want enough room for a refugium, but am unsure how to best set this up for flow and filtration. Either having two returns (one on each side of the tank and over flow in the middle) or just one (with overflow on one side and return on the other.) Definitely a glass tank, possibly have the baffles be acrylic.

Nice, will you be building the tank yourself?

The best input I have for you here is to skip the acrylic baffles as the silicone will not adhere well to the acrylic and you'll eventually get leaks and separation. Glass would be better for a more stable and permanent design.

OP
OP
Naoxyn

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, will you be building the tank yourself?

The best input I have for you here is to skip the acrylic baffles as the silicone will not adhere well to the acrylic and you'll eventually get leaks and separation. Glass would be better for a more stable and permanent design.
I might have to with the dimensions I'm looking to achieve with the overall tank set up. Glass baffles it is then. Is there a tank safe paint to use for the partition between DT and sump area?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to with the dimensions I'm looking to achieve with the overall tank set up. Glass baffles it is then. Is there a tank safe paint to use for the partition between DT and sump area?

I had a tank, manufacturer slips my mind at the moment, that had glass overflow boxes covered in an arcylic case. Acrylic to block light and glass for rigidity and seal to tank I suppose. That might be an option.

OP
OP
Naoxyn

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank, manufacturer slips my mind at the moment, that had glass overflow boxes covered in an arcylic case. Acrylic to block light and glass for rigidity and seal to tank I suppose. That might be an option.
Going over the whole set up I want to do, DT would be about 60gal, 30wx20hx24d, with sump partition being 30wx20hx12d. With the dimensions of Skimmers, it would take up just about 1/3 of the sump area, leaving me only with a 12x12 fuge area to follow it. but, if I did more of like a filter sock area taking up a 6"x12" area I could keep the fuge at 18"x20" area. No idea what would be best for the live stock and how to achieve the best flow thorough these areas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back