DIY Updraft Algae Scrubber for Fluval EVO 13.5

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share with you my DIY Updraft Algae Scrubber that I have created for AIO Nano Reef tanks. This particular one is for the Chamber 2 mod for a Fluval EVO 13.5.
It has a second stage behind the first that can't be photographed. The second stage can be filled with polypad, floss, carbon, etc. However, I have found that the best flow profile is created when only polyfill (teddy bear floss) is used; or nothing at all. It fits the chamber extremely tightly to avoid pass-by flow and to maximize the available membrane area. The hole in the back allows for insertion of a screwdriver for removal. There is a lid to stop salt spray and light leakage. The drop down, angled bottom helps to minimize re-circulation.

I have poured over this design for a long time and this is the first prototype. I am already starting on the second one with some minor improvements. I have great expectations for this design and can't wait to see the results in the next few months. I am currently in the patent application process.

I hope you like it.
11.jpg

The airline passes along the space behind the membrane. It comes out the top and employs a check valve to avoid siphoning. I have since replaced the Limewood airstone with a ceramic diffuser. I know there are lots of opinions over this. But what has so far been the most succesful in terms of flow, membrane coverage, spray reduction and noise reduction has been the cheap ceramic diffusers.
12.jpg

It is constructed out of 0.93" opaque black Lexan and is solvent welded and annealed for strength. The membrane is a typical plastic stichcraft from HobbyLobby.
13.jpg

My little Alveopora Garden. The little Bernardpora only opens at night.
14.jpg

The downfall of all available Nano UAS devices is that they recirculate a lot of the same water over and over. Although this is partly unavoidable this design seeks to decrease recirculation as much as possible.
15.jpg

I have chosen to use the Acke 12 grow light, velcro mounted to the outside of the tank. This is centered over the membrane and is on a 18/6 hour cycle; starting 2 hours before the DT lights go out.
16.jpg

My "sump".
A Whisper 60 drives a 1500ml CO2 scrubber and feeds past a check valve and into the UAS.
17.jpg

Here, I have put opaque "shades" over the second chamber. My next point of improvement is to reduce light leakage into chamber 1. During "lights out" there is minimal light in the DT.
18.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. I will update as I go and show my progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Couple months in and I have stopped cleaning my glass. Nuisance GHA is disappearing. I started dosing Phytoplankton and am powerfeeding my fish and corals.

This has been a huge upgrade in my reefing.

One example, my Orchid Dottyback has changed to a deep-deep magenta/purple because I have been able to feed more freely.
My Alveopora garden has really benefitted and Zoanthids have exploded.

Now ReefRoids once per week along with ReefEnergy and Phyto everyday and Frozen Mysis for NPS and Oyster Feast everyday is possible with ultra low nutrients.

Nitrate and Phosphate are both undetectable with NYOS kits. I have effectively traded Nitrate for Nitrogen and traded Phosphate for Phosphorous.

Just something to think about.

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about how much I'm pulling off every 7 to 10 days. This has allowed me to go very heavy on f
20210415_235350.jpg
eeding and still keep Ultra low nutrients. Originally I had created the waterfall filter in the back to hold floss or phosguard or whatever but it is proven to work best with nothing at all so as to maintain maximal water flow.
These photos are taken without the air pump on so you can see the amount of hair algae and other cryptic garbage I'm pulling off.

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experimented with several wavelength of light. I ended up not using a yellow/white Spectrum because it created too much heat. In a tank this small the smallest additions of heat really add up. Now I realize there is also no benefit in terms of yield. As you can see in one week's time this thing is so plugged full that it almost stops the flow.
The Acke 12w light targets 3 frequencies that are consistently proven to Target the desired species. The magenta is very similar to what they are using at the sewage treatment plant in my County.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is close to terrestrial plants as far as chlorophyll. If you want to maximize growth look up "Emmerson effect". There are a lot of lights out there that can be used and they don't have to be expensive. 450nm, 660nm and 740nm combinations work best from my tests. 740nm is an infrared/near red that plants use to determine seasons/growth.

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is close to terrestrial plants as far as chlorophyll. If you want to maximize growth look up "Emmerson effect". There are a lot of lights out there that can be used and they don't have to be expensive. 450nm, 660nm and 740nm combinations work best from my tests. 740nm is an infrared/near red that plants use to determine seasons/growth.
I thank you I will check that out

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is if its such a tight fit you don’t want to be taking it in and out all the time so how do you harvest?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back