DIY vs NeoPhos

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2g/liter is basically same as neophos. Always test obviously and keep an eye out when dosing anything new.

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I didn’t want it to be as dilute as neo. You can make it much more potent if you like. I like to get at least a month out of my dosing containers just so I don’t have to fill them up so frequently and not have to worry about running out if I go on vacay. I’m at 20ml a day of diy which is about a third of neo if I remember right, it has been awhile. It’s about 0.01ppm per ml for my tank volume.
Cool point. I wish I could make my calcium and alkalinity 2 part more concentrated. I’m up to about 90ml/day of each. B ionic. I buy the 4 gallon jugs. Lol.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool point. I wish I could make my calcium and alkalinity 2 part more concentrated. I’m up to about 90ml/day of each. B ionic. I buy the 4 gallon jugs. Lol.
I switched to a calcium reactor last year as two part was just getting too expensive and difficult for me. Plus my salinity was rising as much as was being added. At least you won’t have that problem with b ionic. Large upfront cost but definitely cheaper in the long run.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. Which do you prefer of those two? Does Calcium Nitrate raise Calcium ?

Yes, it adds calcium and alkalinity in a balanced fashion, so if you are otherwise adding slk and calcium, you’ll need a bit less.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to a calcium reactor last year as two part was just getting too expensive and difficult for me. Plus my salinity was rising as much as was being added. At least you won’t have that problem with b ionic. Large upfront cost but definitely cheaper in the long run.

Which problem won’t you have? All two part systems raise salinity.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which problem won’t you have? All two part systems raise salinity.
I didn’t word that correctly, I didn’t mean just salinity but the proportion of everything else not added with traditional two part. I am not familiar with b ionic as I’ve never used it but I was under the impression that it was a system similar to balling/part c that keeps things balanced…. Although still raising salinity. I only mentioned salinity as I sometimes get lazy with my statements.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t word that correctly, I didn’t mean just salinity but the proportion of everything else not added with traditional two part. I am not familiar with b ionic as I’ve never used it but I was under the impression that it was a system similar to balling/part c that keeps things balanced…. Although still raising salinity. I only mentioned salinity as I sometimes get lazy with my statements.

Ok, yes, it is fully ionic balanced like Balling.

FWIW, I recommend Balling Part C as the third part of a diy two part.

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it adds calcium and alkalinity in a balanced fashion, so if you are otherwise adding slk and calcium, you’ll need a bit less.
Wow seriously? So I’m getting Nitrate, Calcium, and Alkalinity? That’s amazing!!!!

*edit, now that I think about it. That could complicate dosing and balancing. If I raise calcium nitrate to get more nitrate, I’ll need to lower my calcium alkalinity dosing to balance. Guessing not big deal, but something to think about I suppose. It’s kind of hard enough to balance things. I have to adjust my dosing rates every week.

Last edited:

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow seriously? So I’m getting Nitrate, Calcium, and Alkalinity? That’s amazing!!!!

*edit, now that I think about it. That could complicate dosing and balancing. If I raise calcium nitrate to get more nitrate, I’ll need to lower my calcium alkalinity dosing to balance. Guessing not big deal, but something to think about I suppose. It’s kind of hard enough to balance things. I have to adjust my dosing rates every week.
I'm not sure how much calcium nitrate will actually raise your calcium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As third part of diy two part? What diy two part are you referring to? I may have missed or misunderstood something above?

Any diy, but I’m specifically referring the the three recipes of mine that use bicarbonate or carbonate ir hydroxide for the alk part. BRS provides materials for them if you prefer.

They call it the BRS balling part C hybrid method.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how much calcium nitrate will actually raise your calcium?

Each 50 ppm of nitrate added and consumed boosts alk by 2.3 dKH and calcium by 16 ppm.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure how to judge how much nitrate tank consuming, but that sounds like meaningful non-negligible amount generally?
Stop dosing nitrates for 4 days or so. Test before you stop and again after the 4 days and divide by 4 to give you an idea of the approximate additional need.

Blue Collared Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have we found out the nitrate conversion? I have sodium nitrate, I wanted to get this going also. But unfortunately I have potassium phosphate I guess it's best to switch that out for sodium or calcium phosphate?

Blue Collared Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I do not recommend stump remover for two reasons:

1. It is potassium nitrate, and will tend to raise potassium a lot over time.
2. It has no quality control related to impurities.

i recommend food or other high grade sodium or calcium nitrate. Both are much cheaper than NeoNitro, and have composition and purity guarantees that Brightwell does not provide.
Is there a formula for the the sodium or calcium nitrate that breaks down as simple as the phosphates?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back