DIY wood stands

waltee1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium company is asking $2000+ for a steel stand size 36"Hx60"L×30"D. The tank is 180 gallon which is 24" tall. I am think of going with a DIY wood stands. Can I see some DIY stand builds for 200+ gallon tanks. Also what kind of lumber should I use 2x6 or 2x8 or 4x6?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium company is asking $2000+ for a steel stand size 36"Hx60"L×30"D. The tank is 180 gallon which is 24" tall. I am think of going with a DIY wood stands. Can I see some DIY stand builds for 200+ gallon tanks. Also what kind of lumber should I use 2x6 or 2x8 or 4x6?
Look at King of DIY on YouTube

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a build thread for my 187g (60Lx30W). I renovated an old stand that had already been used with that tank and added additional 2x4 bracing because overkill is my middle name. I probably still have my 100g stand build on here somewhere which was even sturdier and used way too many 4x4s, lol.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I might know a guy…

A 2X8 top frame is plenty. Use 2X4 for everything else. Don’t use 4X anything, they change shape too much.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might know a guy…

Lol! Of course you do!

A 2X8 top frame is plenty. Use 2X4 for everything else. Don’t use 4X anything, they change shape too much.

Template over on the other forum is still by far the best DIY stand there is. Can't recommend it enough. Great job.

Edit: Oh - and they make a great stand for a Lathe :) I had a 40 breeder that I took down, didn't know what to do with the stand, and said oh, I have an idea. Great for turning pens :D

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2x4s and 2x6s for DIY stands. I don't use under tank sumps so I have stand legs under all of the tank bottom not just the edges. If you want to have a 4x4 without a 4x4 you can take two 2x4s and sandwich 1/2" plywood in the middle then use liquid nails and screws to fasten them together. I made my own 4x4s this way for my giant canopy and they are very easy to make and when you oppose the 2x4 warping it will make a very straight 4x4.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go, an old pic just when the 300g tank was set up and I had yet to skin the stand:
1665985468329.jpeg

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go, an old pic just when the 300g tank was set up and I had yet to skin the stand:
1665985468329.jpeg
very nice, that display looks really clean! That acropora in the center has incredible color! Is this halogen / t5ho lit, or are those leds in the center row on your fixture? Just curious because it has a halogen look to it but the fixture is so thin it’s difficult to tell? Great setup I’m curious to see how the stand will look finished

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice, that display looks really clean! That acropora in the center has incredible color! Is this halogen / t5ho lit, or are those leds in the center row on your fixture? Just curious because it has a halogen look to it but the fixture is so thin it’s difficult to tell? Great setup I’m curious to see how the stand will look finished
Thank you! That’s an old picture and the stand has been skinned for some time. There’s tons of pictures of it here if you’re interested https://instagram.com/viking_reefing?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The light is a giesemann aurora v8. Led/T5 hybrid. I do however try to mimic the look of halides.

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have always built my own stands and canopies.
I use construction grade 2x4's and 3/4" plywood for larger tanks.
I start by building a square box with the outside dimensions I want.
Then a frame it from the inside. I use stainless wood screws and waterproof wood glue. Lots of both.
Once the box and the frame is complete, I make the cutouts for the doors, making sure to cut straight. The pieces that are cutout are used for the doors.
I saved most of my pictures on Imageshack, but over the years, they have lost a bunch of my pictures.
With the few I have left here was the process of this stand which I made 17 years ago and is still in use on a second tank.
Box done and starting the frame

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! Of course you do!

Template over on the other forum is still by far the best DIY stand there is. Can't recommend it enough. Great job.

Edit: Oh - and they make a great stand for a Lathe :) I had a 40 breeder that I took down, didn't know what to do with the stand, and said oh, I have an idea. Great for turning pens :D
Where is that original post? I see people talking about it all the time but can't find the original

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Framed tank or rimless?

Food for thought to reassure for a DIY wood frame: Your tank fully filled will be about 1800 lbs (water, salt, rock, sand, glass). That sounds like a lot, and it is a lot for, say, a person to lift.

But it’s not all that much for wood posts. Assuming framed you’ll see about 450 lbs at each corner. This is a trivial weight for a 2x4 to carry. A single 2x4 stud tall enough for a stand is good for about 4000 lbs (including safety factors). You’ll have two or three at the corner depending on design, and then sheathing/plywood wrap will boost it further.

The legs will be working at about ~3 to 5% capacity.

Biggest concern for loads really is ensuring the tank is evenly supported where it wants to be and making sure you have plywood or some sort of bracing on the sides to provide it with some lateral stability.

cdbias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3/4” plywood box (built properly) will support almost any tank near 4’ and plywood can’t sag in one direction. People forget. Sandwich the plywood if you insist on 2x4’s. You actually need very little boards.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back