Diy yourself stand

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to build my own stand. U can do the framing. But from there I just don't have the tools to sand the wood. And not even sure what grit of sand paper to use. Then once sanded do u need to resend after the first coat of primer then again after the first coat of paint then after the second coat andd5 what grit of sand paper do u start with rougher paper then to fine sand paper?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to build my own stand. U can do the framing. But from there I just don't have the tools to sand the wood. And not even sure what grit of sand paper to use. Then once sanded do u need to resend after the first coat of primer then again after the first coat of paint then after the second coat andd5 what grit of sand paper do u start with rougher paper then to fine sand paper?
If you dont have the tools to do it, then I would consider buying a premade stand or having someone build you one.

Generally, you would prep the wood with a fine grit finishing paper like 220.
Prime it then paint it.
For buttery smooth finish, you can look into wet sanding between coats with 800+ grit and then finish it with a matt or gloss sheen and wet sand that smooth. But it can be tricky with water based latex paints.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont have the tools to do it, then I would consider buying a premade stand or having someone build you one.

Prime it then paint it.
For buttery smooth finish, you can look into wet sanding between coats with 800+ grit and then finish it with a matt or gloss sheen and wet sand that smooth. But it can be tricky with water based latex paints.
While cleaning up my folks garage I found an old belt sander. If it works I'll use it for sanding. And I can have Lowes cut the wood. Now I just have to figure out how many 2x6 and 2x4 I need since it's a 125 gallon marineland dual corner overflow. I don't think I'll need plywood under Neath the tank.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Prime it then paint it.
Oh lawd 800 grit. 120 220. Start wet sanding with 400 skip the steel wool and move to light gray Scotch Brite and after your final coat feel free to use white Scotch Brite.

That's how to restore wood boats.

No way I'd do that much work for paint unless I wanted a mirror finish. Which you aren't going to get with rolled or brushed paint. You have to spray to get a glassy smooth and shiny finish with paint.

If painting.

120, 180 both by hand. No primer. Spray, roll, or brush on a can of enamel.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had them cut anything. But I know they don't guarantee square or correct cuts.

Do you have the space to operate a circular saw? If you do, you could build a stand and do all of your cuts with it. For around $100 you can get one.

Another option would be to shop Ikea and old furniture then repurpose something.

dewalt_DCS391L1_app3._V153916107_.jpg

This stand was built with a circular saw and a drill only. I sanded to 120 and rolled on my paint with a foam roller. It was built on the balcony of an apartment in a couple days.
PXL_20230426_034416181~2.jpg

Last edited:

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? If it’s significant weight I would reconsider building the stand Unless you have some experience. As far as sanding goes at 100 grit a light sand is all you need. Also buy some kills white primer from lows and use that as your paint. It comes white and is cheaper then regular paint and is water resistant. Goes on just like regular white paint.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? If it’s significant weight I would reconsider building the stand Unless you have some experience. As far as sanding goes at 100 grit a light sand is all you need. Also buy some kills white primer from lows and use that as your paint. It comes white and is cheaper then regular paint and is water resistant. Goes on just like regular white paint.

Vladthelarge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a cheap hand sander from harbor freight. It won't last you a lifetime, but it's a good starter option that won't cost much.

I highly recommend the kreg pocket jointing system. When I build my stands, I basically create three cabinet face frames using the pocket system and brace them together on the inside. Very solid and looks great.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 72 x 18 height not sure. 2x6 lumber at the top and the bottom I'm 7sing 2x4's
Buy a stand. You have enough length that small mistakes on one end make big ones in the over all project. Like one leg being 1/8 or 1/16 short can be a major problem.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a cheap hand sander from harbor freight. It won't last you a lifetime, but it's a good starter option that won't cost much.

I highly recommend the kreg pocket jointing system. When I build my stands, I basically create three cabinet face frames using the pocket system and brace them together on the inside. Very solid and looks great.
Dude doesn't have any tools and you are telling him to head to the store and get a pocket jointer.

Not Op, but you would be much better off with a table saw, set of dado bits, and a bottle of glue.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude doesn't have any tools and you are telling him to head to the store and get a pocket jointer.

Not Op, but you would be much better off with a table saw, set of dado bits, and a bottle of glue.
I do have a drill. Not a circular saw, and I'm going to test the sander tomorrow.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can hit harbor freight and get what I need from there. Yeah they won't last a life time but what does.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I second the motion to save up and buy a premade stand. If you build one and don't know what you are doing...you could be making some serious costly mistakes. A 6 foot long tank full of water is no joke if it pops a seam because the stand wasn't built right.

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I will never tell anyone not to buy tools….I would look on marketplace or somewhere for a stand. The tools may be more expensive than a used stand.

A circular saw will be near impossible to get accurate straight/square cuts. Get a cheap mliter saw.

With a miter saw and a kreg jig ($30ish) along with your drill, you can make a square, level frame.

1 Salty Nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a little bit of woodworking on the side. I built a box for out of cedar for a small outdoor freshwater container pond. When doing that, I used 80 grit, 120, then 220 for finishing. Did a tung oil finish on the outside. I'd stop at 120 grit if you're going to paint it. The only tools I have are a power drill, a random orbit sander, and a hack saw. And I don't have a garage, but I made it work.

That said, making a piece of furniture to hold a large and very heavy tank is risky if you aren't experienced. Not that you couldn't do it...just make sure you do a lot of research and maybe find an experienced wood worker to talk to.

For my 10 gallon reef tank, I actually purchased a small accent cabinet and reinforced it with braces and small boards. This is because my tank is a really weird size and Lifegard doesn't make any stands specially for them (like why though?), so I had to figure something out. Another note: you can always try looking at thrift stores for old pieces of furniture then customizing them to your needs. They made furniture really sturdy back in the day...

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres what i planon it looking like. in this picture it looks like the builder user all 2x4's The top of the stand i'm going to use 2x6's not 2x4's.

Attachments

• 20200613-152544.jpg
    20200613-152544.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 29

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back