DKH is over 16!!!

SactownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I woke up this morning and heard my dosing pump constantly going... and it dumped about 6 months of All for Reef into my 80 gallon tank. My DKH is over 16 at this point and I'm worried about everything dying. I'm mixing some water now and plan to do a big water change... but I've also read that a large water change can kill everything. I tested my Alk yesterday morning and it was at 8... so the change was sudden. Not sure if that helps.

I'm just looking for some advice. Please help!!!!

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the water change (make sure to bring the water to tank temp first).

@Randy Holmes-Farley is quoted on 3/26/2011 at 10:59am on Reef Central in regard to correcting a 150 gallon aquarium with 17dKH "Water change is probably the best way. Adding muriatic acid works, but will drop pH a lot and risks overdose very easily."

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big Water changes and acid if needed.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months worth of dosing ? I would think your DKH is around 100-160, rather than 16...

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months worth of dosing ? I would think your DKH is around 100-160, rather than 16...

Not yet. A4R doesn't dose alkalinity the same way a two part doses alkalinity. A4R is consumed by a bacteria that raises alkalinity. And right now they FEASTIN.
Hungry Night Court GIF by Laff

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I woke up this morning and heard my dosing pump constantly going... and it dumped about 6 months of All for Reef into my 80 gallon tank. My DKH is over 16 at this point and I'm worried about everything dying. I'm mixing some water now and plan to do a big water change... but I've also read that a large water change can kill everything. I tested my Alk yesterday morning and it was at 8... so the change was sudden. Not sure if that helps.

I'm just looking for some advice. Please help!!!!
Is your tank pure white like milk? What’s your ph level at?

OP
OP
SactownReefer

SactownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Thanks for all of the replies!

Surprisingly, my PH is at 7.9. I expected it to rise... but looking at my Apex Fusion info it slowly decreased yesterday.

My water is slightly cloudy but not too bad. It also occurred at night, I believe. So I turned off my lights, hoping not to stress out my corals and maybe that is also keeping a bacterial bloom from occurring. Which reminds me... I gotta make sure to aerate my water so the fish have enough oxygen. not sure if that's a good idea or not but made sense to me.

As for the 6 months worth of AFR... that's just a guess. I made about 2.5L of solution and most of it is gone at this point. I'm thinking of going with a smaller container moving forward.

As for acid... is there a recommended dosage? I have gallons of it for my pool.

Again, thank you all!

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's muriatic acid, it's really effin dangerous, do the water change.

Here is a more recent thread also involving A4R.

OP
OP
SactownReefer

SactownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my Alk yesterday morning and it read @ 8.2 dKH. I tested again this morning three times just to make sure I didn't mess up the test and each time it read 16.4-16.5. I'm using a Hanna checker.

When I added in the reagent solution to the 10ml vial... I could tell something was way off just based on the color. It was really blue instead of a greenish-blue color.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my Alk yesterday morning and it read @ 8.2 dKH. I tested again this morning three times just to make sure I didn't mess up the test and each time it read 16.4-16.5. I'm using a Hanna checker.

When I added in the reagent solution to the 10ml vial... I could tell something was way off just based on the color. It was really blue instead of a greenish-blue color.
It probably had a chemical runout and started precipitating out. When your parameters clear up, check your equipment for calcium buildup.

OP
OP
SactownReefer

SactownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d use that same kit right now on new salt water. Unless you had a sudden massive overdose in the last 24 h, the high values now seem likely to be test error.
Definitely a massive overdose. My dosing pump added about 2L of All for Reef into my system... when it usually gets about 25 Ml a day. I was messing with the app for a new program... and apparently, I left it in a constant run mode. So definitely my fault.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the water change (make sure to bring the water to tank temp first).

@Randy Holmes-Farley is quoted on 3/26/2011 at 10:59am on Reef Central in regard to correcting a 150 gallon aquarium with 17dKH "Water change is probably the best way. Adding muriatic acid works, but will drop pH a lot and risks overdose very easily."
dang bro. Finding old Randy posts to answer questions. Next level support hahahah

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Thanks for all of the replies!

Surprisingly, my PH is at 7.9. I expected it to rise... but looking at my Apex Fusion info it slowly decreased yesterday.

My water is slightly cloudy but not too bad. It also occurred at night, I believe. So I turned off my lights, hoping not to stress out my corals and maybe that is also keeping a bacterial bloom from occurring. Which reminds me... I gotta make sure to aerate my water so the fish have enough oxygen. not sure if that's a good idea or not but made sense to me.

As for the 6 months worth of AFR... that's just a guess. I made about 2.5L of solution and most of it is gone at this point. I'm thinking of going with a smaller container moving forward.

Again, thank you all!
So what can you do to make this not happen again. Relying on not forgetting to turn off constant mode (human error) is probably not best, we tend to make mistakes again lol (Or I do at least). So in this case I would probably think, only put enough to dose 1 month or 2 at a time, so even if it gets full dosed, it isn't AS bad as 6 months lol.

OP
OP
SactownReefer

SactownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what can you do to make this not happen again. Relying on not forgetting to turn off constant mode (human error) is probably not best, we tend to make mistakes again lol (Or I do at least). So in this case I would probably think, only put enough to dose 1 month or 2 at a time, so even if it gets full dosed, it isn't AS bad as 6 months lol.
Definitely my plan. I'll make a batch every month.. .so about 750Ml. I'm so annoyed with myself. We put so much time into this hobby and then to make a bonehead mistake like this is so upsetting. haha.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely my plan. I'll make a batch every month.. .so about 750Ml. I'm so annoyed with myself. We put so much time into this hobby and then to make a bonehead mistake like this is so upsetting. haha.
Anything having ill effects yet? Corals acting funky? Any other weird stuff? I wonder if dKH is logarithmic like pH where each 1.0 is order of magnitude increase (10x)

OP
OP
SactownReefer

SactownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything having ill effects yet? Corals acting funky? Any other weird stuff? I wonder if dKH is like pH where each 1.0 is order of magnitude increase (10x)
My hammer, frogspawn, and torch corals aren't extending that much... but the rest seem to be okay for now.

That's a good question... I'm not sure if it's exponential like PH. hopefully not!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back