All For Reef Overdose ALKALINITY 17.7dkh!

Jesse571

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon mixed reef heavy with a lot of LPS corals and a few fish. 3 years old. My son dosed All For Reef early this morning when I wasn't home (don't ask me why he did or how much) but I noticed at dinnertime a couple of my Hammer' heads looked like they were bailing on me. Nitrates 5ppm and phosphate 0.03 so that was fine. Checked my alkalinity and it was 17.7!!! Retested, made sure everything was clean and accurate and tested again with pretty much the same high numbers. All tests done with Hanna checkers. I did a 15 gallon water change tonight and tested and now alk is down to 14.3. What can I do to get it down or do I just ride it out? Of course no more dosing. Thanks for you time with this.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't panic. It isn't going to cause any big issues. Really the only thing I would imagine is possibly precipitation but since all for reef doesn't spike pH, it should be relatively harmless (though not something you want long term). You can just ride it out from there. Some salts go up to 13KH (Reef Crystals) so you aren't that far off from high alk salts

OP
OP
J

Jesse571

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon mixed reef heavy with a lot of LPS corals and a few fish. 3 years old. My son dosed All For Reef early this morning when I wasn't home (don't ask me why he did or how much) but I noticed at dinnertime a couple of my Hammer' heads looked like they were bailing on me. Nitrates 5ppm and phosphate 0.03 so that was fine. Checked my alkalinity and it was 17.7!!! Retested, made sure everything was clean and accurate and tested again with pretty much the same high numbers. All tests done with Hanna checkers. I did a 15 gallon water change tonight and tested and now alk is down to 14.3. What can I do to get it down or do I just ride it out? Of course no more dosing. Thanks for you time with this.
Phew!...thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have white vinegar but don't know how much to dose for 75 gallons? Thanks for your help!

Vinegar won't work. It has to be a mineral acid, such as muriatic acid, sulfuric acid, or sodium bisulfate.
u

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back