All For Reef Overdose ALKALINITY 17.7dkh!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jesse571
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jesse571

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 26, 2021
Messages
107
Reaction score
39
Location
Vancouver Island British Columbia Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon mixed reef heavy with a lot of LPS corals and a few fish. 3 years old. My son dosed All For Reef early this morning when I wasn't home (don't ask me why he did or how much) but I noticed at dinnertime a couple of my Hammer' heads looked like they were bailing on me. Nitrates 5ppm and phosphate 0.03 so that was fine. Checked my alkalinity and it was 17.7!!! Retested, made sure everything was clean and accurate and tested again with pretty much the same high numbers. All tests done with Hanna checkers. I did a 15 gallon water change tonight and tested and now alk is down to 14.3. What can I do to get it down or do I just ride it out? Of course no more dosing. Thanks for you time with this.
 
Don't panic. It isn't going to cause any big issues. Really the only thing I would imagine is possibly precipitation but since all for reef doesn't spike pH, it should be relatively harmless (though not something you want long term). You can just ride it out from there. Some salts go up to 13KH (Reef Crystals) so you aren't that far off from high alk salts
 
You can reduce alk in the display in any of several ways (water changes, adding an acid of some sort), but i agree that waiting it out is a good plan.
 
75 gallon mixed reef heavy with a lot of LPS corals and a few fish. 3 years old. My son dosed All For Reef early this morning when I wasn't home (don't ask me why he did or how much) but I noticed at dinnertime a couple of my Hammer' heads looked like they were bailing on me. Nitrates 5ppm and phosphate 0.03 so that was fine. Checked my alkalinity and it was 17.7!!! Retested, made sure everything was clean and accurate and tested again with pretty much the same high numbers. All tests done with Hanna checkers. I did a 15 gallon water change tonight and tested and now alk is down to 14.3. What can I do to get it down or do I just ride it out? Of course no more dosing. Thanks for you time with this.
Phew!...thank you!
 
You can reduce alk in the display in any of several ways (water changes, adding an acid of some sort), but i agree that waiting it out is a good plan.
I have white vinegar but don't know how much to dose for 75 gallons? Thanks for your help!
 
I have white vinegar but don't know how much to dose for 75 gallons? Thanks for your help!

Vinegar won't work. It has to be a mineral acid, such as muriatic acid, sulfuric acid, or sodium bisulfate.
u
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new