Reef crystals - dkh difference

m3xm3xm3x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I understand there are topics discussed with the different dkh among various salt brands. But I’m asking if anyone knows how or can advise on how to minimize the alk swing.

I did not and have not tested my newly mix saltwater when I do water changes. But I’m sure I will next time. The issue is I’m trying to keep my alk around 8.5-8.6 dkh. Before when I was using the last 1/4 bucket of reef crystals on weekly waterchange my alk after waterchage is steady 8.5-8.6.. for the past few weeks i opened a new bucket of reef crystals and after water change it is creeping up about 0.2 each water change. Now I’m at 9.0 dkh.

Anyone out there have experience with this where new bucket alk is higher compared to when the bucket almost finished?

OP
OP
m3xm3xm3x

m3xm3xm3x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also someone once told me that that in order to achieve the desired trace elements in the back label of the bucket I would have to mix the entire bucket all at once. I feel this is more likely than not. But I don’t have the space to mix 160 gallons of saltwater at once.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back