DMSO Milbemycin Oxime

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Figured would ask here since you all are the experts. This may have been covered although I could not find what I was looking for. I followed a thread to make medicated fish food using DMSO. Had not heard of or new about DMSO so now the wheels are spinning

Milbemycin Oxime water solubility?

I found a data sheet showing limited water solubility.
Red bug treatment says interceptor is soluble in water, although when mixed it is not all dissolved.

If DMSO was used to dissolve the Milbemycin would the medication be more effective, potentially reduces the amount needed to reach desired target?

Along the same thought process different application could DMSO possibly used with medication for a coral dip?

Say one was to dissolve imidacloprid ( the active ingredient in Bayer Complete) in DMSO could this be more effective. Could the mixture potentially pass through the eggs and kill the embryo.

I am sure there are some health risks involved that I am not aware of.

Thanks for your time

IMG_2071.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Figured would ask here since you all are the experts. This may have been covered although I could not find what I was looking for. I followed a thread to make medicated fish food using DMSO. Had not heard of or new about DMSO so now the wheels are spinning

Milbemycin Oxime water solubility?

I found a data sheet showing limited water solubility.
Red bug treatment says interceptor is soluble in water, although when mixed it is not all dissolved.

If DMSO was used to dissolve the Milbemycin would the medication be more effective, potentially reduces the amount needed to reach desired target?

Along the same thought process different application could DMSO possibly used with medication for a coral dip?

Say one was to dissolve imidacloprid ( the active ingredient in Bayer Complete) in DMSO could this be more effective. Could the mixture potentially pass through the eggs and kill the embryo.

I am sure there are some health risks involved that I am not aware of.

Thanks for your time

IMG_2071.jpeg

DMSO is a real wild card. I know people have been playing around with it, the trouble is, they are having other people use it experimentally and then judging the results. IMO - it needs to be tested under controlled conditions and not tested on people's home aquariums.

DMSO is not acutely toxic to fish, but seems to be more toxic to invertebrates.

Using it as a solvent into water is problematic - yes, certain organic compounds will dissolve right into it. However, when you then add that to water, the DMSO is diluted and the organic compound comes right back out of solution as a fine precipitate. This means that DMSO cannot be used to internally administer drugs if added to the water. I have dissolved medications in DMSO, then taken the fish from the water, and painted the lesion with that solution. That works, but seems very stressful to the fish when I've tried that.

Jay

OP
OP
PeterErc

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay,

The DMSO is a no go for a concentrated coral dip since meds will precipitate out in diluted solution.

Excuse my ignorance, would the same thing occur with Milbemycin using Ethanol instead?

I am not suggesting anyone dose an aquarium. The first test would be to see if the coral would tolerate the experiment and secondly if it was effective on the parasite.

I don’t know much about chemistry. I am familiar with reef pests and have experimented on different dips, methods to kill them. Montipora nudibranch are by far the worst IMO, and a dip to eradicate them would be priceless

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay,

The DMSO is a no go for a concentrated coral dip since meds will precipitate out in diluted solution.

Excuse my ignorance, would the same thing occur with Milbemycin using Ethanol instead?

I am not suggesting anyone dose an aquarium. The first test would be to see if the coral would tolerate the experiment and secondly if it was effective on the parasite.

I don’t know much about chemistry. I am familiar with reef pests and have experimented on different dips, methods to kill them. Montipora nudibranch are by far the worst IMO, and a dip to eradicate them would be priceless

Yes - ethanol does the very same thing. I should add though - when these solvents create precipitates upon hitting the water, the material is VERY fine, almost microscopic, and that helps with dispersion and eventual dissolution of at least some of the material.

You need to ensure that the very smallest amount of solvent is used, as too much ethanol for example can cause bacterial blooms that then strip oxygen from the water.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back