Do amphipods not allow zoas to spread?

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same question as the title, do they? Cause I have a ton of amphipods in my tank and I can’t seem to get the zoas to grow on another rock

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so. Do you see the pods actively annoying the zoas often? What kind of zoas?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think fire and ice are particularly fast growers. But no I wouldn't blame the pods. Hey why not take advantage of those pods and add a predator like a wrasse

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When gammarus amphipods don't have sufficient predation, the older ones get big (near 1/2") and ornery...and go after zooanthids (especially). Look with a flashlight at night and see if you can catch them pulling out the tentacles from the zoa 'ball' end and then munch away.

As xxkenny90xx mentioned, keep their population in check by adding effective predators.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When gammarus amphipods don't have sufficient predation, the older ones get big (near 1/2") and ornery...and go after zooanthids (especially). Look with a flashlight at night and see if you can catch them pulling out the tentacles from the zoa 'ball' end and then munch away.

As xxkenny90xx mentioned, keep their population in check by adding effective predators.
Cool I’ve looked into getting a wrasse maybe

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think fire and ice are particularly fast growers. But no I wouldn't blame the pods. Hey why not take advantage of those pods and add a predator like a wrasse
I have 2 nassarius snails and 3 maragaritas and a trochus and a fighting conch, and a fire shrimp 2 ywg’s a clownfish and it’s in a 32.5 gallon tank what kind of wrasse would be good to kill those pieces of gas called amphipods

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 nassarius snails and 3 maragaritas and a trochus and a fighting conch, and a fire shrimp 2 ywg’s a clownfish and it’s in a 32.5 gallon tank what kind of wrasse would be good to kill those pieces of gas called amphipods
Check out Lubbock wrasses

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 32g you're pretty much limited to pygmy wrasses -- pink streaked, white banded possum, yellow banded possum, or Tanaka's.

When you get into Cirrhilabrus wrasses, even the smaller ones like Lubbock's or yellow-fins will feel very cramped in anything under 40g due to the lack of swimming space ... and as result have a higher likelihood of becoming aggressive bullies. (IMO even that is pushing it and 50g or more is better)

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 32g you're pretty much limited to pygmy wrasses -- pink streaked, white banded possum, yellow banded possum, or Tanaka's.

When you get into Cirrhilabrus wrasses, even the smaller ones like Lubbock's or yellow-fins will feel very cramped in anything under 40g due to the lack of swimming space ... and as result have a higher likelihood of becoming aggressive bullies. (IMO even that is pushing it and 50g or more is better)
Ok any other invert or something I could get to eat these gasbags

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok any other invert or something I could get to eat these gasbags

Since the little 'gasbags' are mostly nocturnal, it follows that an excellent pod eater might be, too ;)

Black Barred Circus Goby (Priolepis nocturna)

I had one of these little guys many years back in my small nano and within a few months it was so successful that it completely eliminated the entire gammarus amphipod population ;Happy.

I make sure that none ever come back into the system from plugs/frags by using a 20-30 second freshwater dip.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the little 'gasbags' are mostly nocturnal, it follows that an excellent pod eater might be, too ;)

I had one of these little guys many years back in my small nano and within a few months it was so successful that it completely eliminated the entire gammarus amphipod population ;Happy.

I make sure that none ever come back into the system from plugs/frags by using a 20-30 second freshwater dip.
Thank you

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any other fish that you can think of ?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back