Do Anemone Guards Work?

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Tunze Turbelle 6105 and lost an anemone to it last night. I thought the shape of the turbelle I might have better luck than an MP60. I was wrong. A couple of questions:

Do anemone guards work?

Is anyone aware of one for the larger Tunze powerhead? I have not found one online.

Assuming no - what is the best one for an Ecotech MP60 drive? I see a nautilus and nemprotect versions on BRS. Both are on sale. Just wondering if one (or a different brand) is considered the gold standard?

Thanks.

Edit - I know there is a specific scotch foam one. That seems to get bad reviews for clogging a lot.

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have guards on my ReefWave's and MP40s. Whether they work or not is TBC; haven't lost an anemone in that tank since it had the Nero 5 in so I am inclined to say yes!

As for which ones are best, I don't think there's a straight answer to that! :) As with all my other 3D printed parts, i bought mine off Etsy!

I have these on my MP40s.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your anomeme just walk into it
Following
Hard to say for my part! :)

I did not follow the potential slaughter live ;) If I had, there's a strong chance that I would have turned off my MP40s in time to avoid imminent nem-death..

I am simply saying that I have been fortunate enough to have no losses after fitting guards to all my powerheads. Coincidence? Might very well be. Do I believe that they make a difference? Yes I do!

OP
OP
F

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your anomeme just walk into it
Following

Yeah. It was a new one still still moving to a place that made him (?) happy. Based off where it was on the powerhead it must have walked all the way down the circular mount and climbed out onto the front of the thing of the powerhead.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did not follow the potential slaughter live ;) If I had, there's a strong chance that I would have turned off my MP40s in time to avoid imminent nem-death..

I am simply saying that I have been fortunate enough to have no losses after fitting guards to all my powerheads. Coincidence? Might very well be. Do I believe that they make a difference? Yes I do!
Woops! Just realized this wasn't for me! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Sorry for being a sarky smart-butt! @Rick's Reviews will know the Glasgow banter and hopefully forgive me ;)

OP
OP
F

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the link. Those are a lot cheaper than the BRS ones!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. Those are a lot cheaper than the BRS ones!
Most things are mate! ;) Just be careful when shopping on Etsy! You might develop a strong addiction...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently have a Tunze Turbelle 6105 and lost an anemone to it last night. I thought the shape of the turbelle I might have better luck than an MP60. I was wrong. A couple of questions:

Do anemone guards work?

Is anyone aware of one for the larger Tunze powerhead? I have not found one online.

Assuming no - what is the best one for an Ecotech MP60 drive? I see a nautilus and nemprotect versions on BRS. Both are on sale. Just wondering if one (or a different brand) is considered the gold standard?

Thanks.

Edit - I know there is a specific scotch foam one. That seems to get bad reviews for clogging a lot.
Overall they and are much better on a unit than without them however they restrict flow slightly.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No guards can offer 100% protection. The ones that are most effective are the ones that create a physical barrier away from the propeller, while those that simply cover the manifold offer minimal protection, since a single tentacle entering the propeller area can yank in the entire anemone. Another factor is how fast you run the powerheads--a MP40 running at high speed will have a higher likelihood of killing an anemone than a MP60 running at low speed. Lastly, the design of the powerhead makes a big difference. Gyres tend to kill less anemones because of their wider profile, and since they're typically positioned very high in the tank, anemones tend to be safer because very few of them move up high in the water column. The exception are BTAs, which tend to float around the tank. They may get stuck on a gyre with a guard on it (I like NemProtects), but oftentimes don't get completely sucked in.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have guards on my ReefWave's and MP40s. Whether they work or not is TBC; haven't lost an anemone in that tank since it had the Nero 5 in so I am inclined to say yes!

As for which ones are best, I don't think there's a straight answer to that! :) As with all my other 3D printed parts, i bought mine off Etsy!

I have these on my MP40s.
Casper, Did you notice any flow restriction and If so, did you just increase % of flow?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Casper, Did you notice any flow restriction and If so, did you just increase % of flow?
Mate, didn't notice anything sorry- didn't really check either though ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back