Do anenomes need live rock

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not based on the little information you have provided. Anemones seldom do well in new tanks especially ones set up with dry rock. Most people myself included. suggest waiting 6 month for a tank to get established and stable before adding anemones. Longer with dry rock. You can cut that time drastically, if your an experienced reefer and using established live rock from another system. Anemones are easy to keep in a well established tank. Very difficult in a new tank! Look in the clown fish and anemone thread and else where here and sadly you will see all sorts of examples of them dying in new tanks.

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering my salt water tank has good parameters I started it a couple months ago and just added dry rock and some live rock almost 2 weeks ago and was just wondering if a anemone would be okay but I will wait :(

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting will save you money and heartache. Read up on the fish and corals your planning to get in the mean time. Get decent test kits, Salifert is my choice. Learn the chemistry involved in keeping things stable. Also a good seed your tank with copopods and ampapods to get the population going.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 30 Gigantea nems in a frag tank with no coral, sand or rock.
It’s a frag tank which shouldn’t contain rock or sand but you have bio media ?

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use api tests for now but will be switching to Red Sea or salifert I didn’t know that api were so inaccurate but as I get more knowledge I am learning the right things to get it’s so true to wait out instead of buy expensive corals and having them die on me :( which would also make me upset thanks you guys for your advice it helps a lot because I am new to this :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back