Do any ATO's work?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses.

I have used the autotopoff.com set ups in the past, but because of space restrictions I was avoiding the hang on tank brackets.

It still seems like there is a lot of differing opinion on this topic. I realize the Tunze i the standard bearer in this market, which means I will probably just bite the bullet on the 3152. I am not completely convinced now that I have read so many negative reviews, but I know I have been reading about them being the best for years. I just hope I end up with one of the good ones.
I have the 3152 and 3155 and have no complaint about either the 3155 has been going since 2012 and the 3152 since 2016. What people don't understand about the 3152 is that the timer redundancy is short. If you keep having to reset the unit this is not because the unit is faulty but because your tank has a high enough evaporation rate that you need to adjust the jumper in the controller or upgrade to a 3155 on nanos the 3152 is perfect.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a Neptune APEX?

ATO is simple and reliable (You can set the max daily dose) with one channel of a Neptune DOS and a single optical sensor.)

Totally understand if too much for a small setup.

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an autotopoff.com single float, works great and it's pretty cheap. Nothing fancy though. My friend has the smart ATO and he loves it. Still the autotopoff.com is cheaper

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tunze 3152 on my IM 20gal and it typically works great, you just have to make sure you dont have any snails or critters that can get on top of the float switch and keep it stuck on!! I almost flooded my living room because a snail managed to get in there.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155 user here. No problems with flawless performance. This replaced my AUQA GADGET TITANIUM HYDROFILLn that required probe/sensor cleaning every 5 days or so to keep working properly.

smirkis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm using the coral box a100 but not long enough to recommend it reliably. i had the n50 but couldn't get it to work for the life of me and flooded my tank multiple times trying. Pretty crazy that such an important piece of reef keeping has no bullet proof product out there.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've user Litermeter III, Tunze and Hydrofill Ti.
all worked for me.

had a busted optical sensor on the Tunze once, and it got replaced, free of charge.

J.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a different route, i use a dosing pump to add Kalkwaser to my tank at approximately the evap rate. This way u dont really need an "ATO." As a backup I just have a simple float valve hooked to my RODI unit. I have done this for some time with no issues and no worries about extra pumps, multiple floats, etc. To malfunction. Not sure if these ways might work for your system but just some ideas.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This replaced my AUQA GADGET TITANIUM HYDROFILLn that required probe/sensor cleaning every 5 days or so to keep working properly.

i haven't cleaned my hydrofill ti probes after installing it. it's been like a month or two now. so far so good.

J.

Ebisan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 2 years with my AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro with 0 problems. Also saved me a couple of times from overflow issues.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses.

I have used the autotopoff.com set ups in the past, but because of space restrictions I was avoiding the hang on tank brackets.

It still seems like there is a lot of differing opinion on this topic. I realize the Tunze i the standard bearer in this market, which means I will probably just bite the bullet on the 3152. I am not completely convinced now that I have read so many negative reviews, but I know I have been reading about them being the best for years. I just hope I end up with one of the good ones.
There’s an open box 3152 on BRS ow for $20 off.

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tunze 3155 is the way, My oldest unit is about 6 years old never had an issue with it, I have replaced the pump once or twice. I tried the tunze nano and i had problems with it left and right, ended up junking it and getting the full version.

Racecars&reeftanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently set up a 20 gallon Cube from waterbox. For the ATO on this tank, I ordered the AP Aqua Duetto. It was super easy to set up, but it stopped working after the first refill. I contacted customer support and received no answer. I spent most of the day trying to get it to work or reset, but nothing happens. the sensor seems to register with the controller and the lights start to cycle like it is pumping, but the pump never kicks on. Then after a few minute I get an alarm. I have unplugged the unit, cleaned the sensor, and tried again, but it instantly fails.

So needless to say, i have no confidence in this unit. i am returning it and replacing it with something else. I figured I would just buy the Tunze 3152 since it is supposed to be reliable. However, i have been reading reviews, and it looks like there are several people having issues causing it to have to be unplugged and reset every day.

So, now, i am lost on what unit to buy. I want something reliable and compact. I don't want to have to be messing with it every day to get it to function. With a tank so small, i want as little fluctuation in the water as I can get. Can someone please put my mind at ease and help me decide what unit is most reliable?

I have been running the xp aqua duetto on my frag tank for a year now. Never a single issue. I have even recommended it to a few friends and they haven't had issues either. I would say try customer support again. Because in my experience it really is a good little ato

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back