Do Bristleworms Eat Zoas/Palys?

The Saltwater Kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do bristleworms eat zoas/palys? I noticed 2 bristlewormswrapped around a frag plug which HAD 2 polyps of Purple Hornets on it lastnight but this morning they are gone L. I don’t have any fishin my tank currently…just hermits and snails. I don't have any zoa eating nudi's or spiders...I've looked. It may be just a coincidence but like I said, last night before bed the polyps were still there and looked healthy (but closed) and today after scaring the bristleworms in they are gone.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the Zoa polyps weren't attached securely and have floated off somewhere. I do not think the bristle worms ate them.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may have been coincidence that they were crawling on it that night. I have bristles crawl all over the place at night and never once have I lost a coral because of them. They could have melted away which happens, also do you have any asterina stars? They can sometimes get a taste for zoas

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bristle worms and asterina stars eat hurt corals in my tank :(. They eat rotting flesh, if they were hurt or dying that's a possibility. Floating around from the worms dislodging them is also a possibility.

OP
OP
T

The Saltwater Kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They weren't dying as far as I know...they hadn't opened up in a couple days but the polyps looked healthy (didn't look like they were melting or anything) last night.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They weren't dying as far as I know...they hadn't opened up in a couple days but the polyps looked healthy (didn't look like they were melting or anything) last night.
That happened to me before with some rastas and some other zoas. All it took was a few days closed and one day they literally disappeared

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworms will eat dying zoas. I've seen it happen to myself. I don't see it as a bad thing since they're just cleaning up zoas and preventing any infection from occuring to the main colony.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've been learning, some asterinas are safe and some are not.
Mine, unfortunately, turned out to be the bad kind T-T

OP
OP
T

The Saltwater Kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mind if the worms had culled a couple of sickly polyps from a mother colony but these 2 polyps were my only Purple Hornets and now they're gone :(.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you tell the good kind from the bad kind of asterina's?
Differing appearances. However, not much research has been done on it. So far, it seems the completely white ones are okay but any with any color seem problematic. This is only what I''ve been seeing so far, not conclusive.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back