do bubble tip anemones like high or low pH?

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My BTA has been acting a little weird and was wondering if my low pH was to blame.
rbta 002.jpg
rbta 001.jpg
Him the other night
0708151125d.jpg
This was him a month or so ago

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph for all tanks must be stable. 8.1 8.4
What I see may be due to other reasons

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's definitely mad about something if he walked off the rocks and up the overflow. I would be shocked if it had anything at all to do with pH. I would start looking into lighting/flow/stability of other params before I even glance at pH.

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He seamed to puff up more after i turned up the white led.
Led: Steve's led kit extreme SPS
Flow: not too sure what name brand,but it has been in the tank ever since it was started( puts out a good amount of flow)
parameters:nitrate 0 ppm, ammonia o ppm

lights just came on
nems 006.jpg
nems 005.jpg
nems 007.jpg
nems 008.jpg
The other nems are doing great

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it eaten recently? Wonder if it got a bad piece of something.

You have any Cipro on hand?

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just feed him the other day, but i had an other idea of what might be wrong. Last year we went on vacation and left my tank at a friend of my dad who also owns a saltwater tank, but does not like to feed frozen foods. So, my nems went a month with noting to eat(had a different BTA at this time) and when i got home his tentacles weren't very sticky and he would not eat. He die 2-3 moths later:( i think something similar to this happened this year when we dropped off the tank. when i tried to feed him yesterday,he only ate one small missis shrimp because his tentacles weren't sticky

If this doesn't make any sense, tell me and i will ex-plane

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so you took the whole tank somewhere else and just brought it back?

I think we need a lot more information then you're giving us here to help with this one. Write a book if you can but give us all you got. How did you move it, did you just move the nems, when exactly...etc.

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I move the tank every summer over to the guys house when we leave for vacation. Me and my dad lift the tank(half full with water) into the our van where we drive it to his house,then we move it in and then we move it back to our house when we get home. EVERYTHING stays in tank during this time. we moved it back about a month ago. if you need any more info, just ask.

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a green BTA? I have a green I've had for 4 months and he's slowly headed downhill to almost nothing while the rest of the crew has been great...not sure if greens are more sensitive, but I haven't had the best track record with them.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph for all tanks must be stable. 8.1 8.4
What I see may be due to other reasons

I disagree with that assumption. I've consistently ran my tanks around 7.6-7.9 without any issues. As long as your calcium & alk are stable your pH should be fine. My carpet cube (patent pending) is in a small room where co2 builds up causing my pH to maintain lower then most tanks but I agree with twiliard that something else is causing your nem to deflate. Looks like he may have a bacterial infection? Maybe he has a laceration on his foot? If so, you'll want to remove him and dose your tank with an antibiotic such as cipro. Not sure if that's the problem but it's a suggestion.

Last edited:

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what your other params are before and after the move? I have a hard time seeing a tank getting moved not having some nitrates or something. 0 nitrates is hard enough as it is, 0 nitrates while shaking the sandbed up twice a year seems near impossible.

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't test before we moved it ,but when i tested yesterday ammonia was 0,nitrite was 0, nitrate was 0,and pH was 7.8
He did have a teeny tiny cut on the foot,but that has since healed and without my clowns protecting him the cleaner shrimp has been bugging him every once and a while.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps your clowns are stressing the Anemone.

A BTA with sufficient light can easily go a month or a lot more without supplemental feedings.

In agreement with others pH is not the issue here.

Have you checked SG against another type of instrument? Are you dosing anything to the tank?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 92 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.7%
Back