Do Derasa Clams Need Low Nitrates?

Chipper1978

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2020
Messages
353
Reaction score
161
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My tank is pushing one year old and has become pretty stable. Today I received my first derasa clam (less than 2 inches). Tonight I stumbled across an article on Algae Barn which stated they need low nitrate, below 2 ppm. If this is true, my clam is in trouble because my nitrate usually hovers around 15 ppm. Any thoughts on this?
 
My tank is pushing one year old and has become pretty stable. Today I received my first derasa clam (less than 2 inches). Tonight I stumbled across an article on Algae Barn which stated they need low nitrate, below 2 ppm. If this is true, my clam is in trouble because my nitrate usually hovers around 15 ppm. Any thoughts on this?
I think the nitrates will be ok , as long as they’re stable .
But buying a clam less than 2” is a little riskier .
 
I think the nitrates will be ok , as long as they’re stable .
But buying a clam less than 2” is a little riskier .
Thanks for the feedback. Things are pretty stable. I struggled to find any larger derasa clams. Dosing phyto daily.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new