Do fire cleaner shrimp molt?

  • Thread starter Thread starter leo12345
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

leo12345

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2022
Messages
513
Reaction score
150
Location
Austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my fire shrimp for almost 2 months now and he’s never molted but my regular skunk cleaner shrimp molts once or twice a month. Is there something wrong with the shrimp?
 
Yes.
All crustaceans do
The frequency differs with species, age, etc.
 
Upvote 0
Mine sure does, I've had mine for 2 months and he molts every 2 weeks give or take a day.
 
Upvote 0
I'm not an expert by any means. I think age and how much food they eat is a factor.
 
Upvote 0
How big is he? I have a 2+ year old, full grown Fire Shrimp and he doesn’t molt nearly as often as he did when he was still growing.
 
Upvote 0
All arthropods molt, whether you see the molt or not isn't a guarantee.

Not only do they consume their molts for iodine/calcium replenishment, but they tend to molt in secret rather than in the open, it could've molted and you not realize it.
 
Upvote 0

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new