Do Fish Get Lonely?

Do fish have as many emotions as we do and do they get lonely?

• Yes, they definitely have multiple emotions and can be sad.

Votes: 37 75.5%
  • No, they most likely don’t have multiple emotions and possibly don’t feel sad.

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I no longer have the source, but I read a study that showed that clownfish don't live as long if they are by themselves. I don't think it's a loneliness thing and more of a stress thing, but that's pretty close.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I no longer have the source, but I read a study that showed that clownfish don't live as long if they are by themselves. I don't think it's a loneliness thing and more of a stress thing, but that's pretty close.
Sounds like something that goes hand in hand, they seem to enjoy the company of others.

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost one of my black ice clowns to a jumping incident too, but it’s mate almost seemed to be happier. He started eating more and became more active and swam around the tank more often. He could’ve been depressed and searching for his mate. Maybe he was in an abusive relationship and he’s celebrating his freedom. Who knows, he has been riding solo ever since the incident and he’s doin just fine.

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always sad when people kill their fish because they neglected to secure their environment with a lid. Tragic.
Sorry for your loss.
Fish definitely have emotions.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always sad when people kill their fish because they neglected to secure their environment with a lid. Tragic.
Sorry for your loss.
Fish definitely have emotions.
I’m not sure if you’re referring to myself or others who invested in the mesh lids but those are sold as securing lids. I was extremely upset that I spent the money on a lid with fairly fine mesh netting and shortly after my fish decide it’s enough to jump through. They shouldn’t be sold with mesh if it needs to be basically less than an 1/8in opening, and I definitely spoke to IM about it. I agree going completely lid-less can be a bit reckless since you can’t prevent a fish from the possibility of jumping out.

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry! I know the feeling. I really hope to get her a new friend soon as soon as I’m back from vacation this weekend. She’s been acting so differently that I can’t wait to get her a new mate to see if she perks back up.
How's your Clown getting on know? Did you get her a new mate?

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your Clown getting on know? Did you get her a new mate?
Thank you for checking in! I went to the LFS and they only had like super juvenile clowns and then the “designers” were all like over $100. I didn’t want to get a super small one because it would be like almost an inch in size difference. I’m waiting until my next day off to go to a LFS that is a little further away that seems to have more variety. So far behavior is kind of the same, feeding a little better and seems to be spending some time with my torch coral. I’m hoping to grab her a new mate this weekend, and maybe another tank mate while I’m there but I’m not sure what kind yet.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
I was finally able to get to another LFS and thankfully they had clowns in stock. I was able to pick up my girl a new mate, a nice black snowflake clown. Also grabbed a purple firefish while I was there. The clowns seem to be getting along well, swimming next to each other and no signs of aggression yet! My girl seems to be a lot happier though!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back