Do I “need” a skimmer on 25 gallon?

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always ran skimmers. 13.5, 60 gallon (in the sump so almost necessary) and that’s about it. I now have a 25g because it is more practical and wondering if I absolutely need one. My tank seems to be doing great. Been running for about a month or so now now granted it was already cycled when transferred but, from what I see it looks as I don’t need one. Looks can be deceiving sometimes tho so let me know what y’all think!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always ran skimmers. 13.5, 60 gallon (in the sump so almost necessary) and that’s about it. I now have a 25g because it is more practical and wondering if I absolutely need one. My tank seems to be doing great. Been running for about a month or so now now granted it was already cycled when transferred but, from what I see it looks as I don’t need one. Looks can be deceiving sometimes tho so let me know what y’all think!
You don't absolutely NEED one...water changes are fine for a 25 gallon

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like skimmer on it personally it helps with algae and increases bio load by increasing oxygen

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Didn’t think I needed one but 9 times out of 10 others know better than me in this hobby.
If you wanna browse through some of the threads from yesterday there was actually a lot of discussion about the importance of skimmers

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna browse through some of the threads from yesterday there was actually a lot of discussion about the importance of skimmers
Yeah, I know it’ll help and it can’t hurt to have one just really don’t want to spend the money on it just yet if I don’t need to lol

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like skimmer on it personally it helps with algae and increases bio load by increasing oxygen
Currently having a terrible algae outbreak in my 20 gal, even with all of my weekly maintenance and parameter checks (phosphates took a weird spike suddenly) I decided it’s finally time to try out a skimmer. Should be here Friday so I’m really hoping it helps.

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently having a terrible algae outbreak in my 20 gal, even with all of my weekly maintenance and parameter checks (phosphates took a weird spike suddenly) I decided it’s finally time to try out a skimmer. Should be here Friday so I’m really hoping it helps.
I’m sure it will. Throw some gfo/ phosguard in you’re media compartment or whatever you have if it’s you’re last resort. Post some pics of ur 20g!

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people seemed to feel the only thing skimmers really helped with was aeration
Really? That’s surprising. With the amount of skim I got out of last tank was crazy. Almost black but that might’ve been bc of big bioload. Tank went awesome though! Until the silicon seals went haywire

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? That’s surprising. With the amount of skim I got out of last tank was crazy. Almost black but that might’ve been bc of big bioload. Tank went awesome though! Until the silicon seals went haywire
Yeah, I think the general consensus was that they're one tool in the arsenal but definitely not the only way of doing things (especially not for a nano)

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure it will. Throw some gfo/ phosguard in you’re media compartment or whatever you have if it’s you’re last resort. Post some pics of ur 20g!
I just pulled a round of phosguard, I’m beginning to think it doesn’t work for nothing, it’s the second round I’ve done and it barely made a dent. That’s why I caved and ordered the skimmer. I’ll have to go take some pics of “Peppermint Dome”, I haven’t taken any since I got my new phone, and I just realized that none of my pics from my old phone transferred.

edit: I had a glitch and I think I replied twice, my bad, but I also wanted to add that I was also going to go pick up maybe an emerald crab tomorrow as well? I fear the may be bubble algae and I have terrible tremors so hand pulling it isn’t really an option as I fear I might pop a bubble if there is any under this stuff. It’s definitely not turf or hair, though it is stringy and red, the bit I managed to pull today when I had a calm spell almost looked like clotted blood when I pulled it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think the general consensus was that they're one tool in the arsenal but definitely not the only way of doing things (especially not for a nano)
Interesting. I probably won’t get one just yet. As of now, knock on wood but this nano is running much better than the 60. Corals, water quality and clarity, and algae.

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled a round of phosguard, I’m beginning to think it doesn’t work for nothing, it’s the second round I’ve done and it barely made a dent. That’s why I caved and ordered the skimmer. I’ll have to go take some pics of “Peppermint Dome”, I haven’t taken any since I got my new phone, and I just realized that none of my pics from my old phone transferred.

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not the biggest expert on algae outbreaks but phosguard has been good to me. what kinda algae is it?

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you need one at all. I have two one for my 75 and one for my nano and haven’t used either in over a year now. Less smelly gunk and no visible difference in the tank. Didn’t hurt anything but the wallet to have one though

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers increase bioavailability of your tank.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People frequently refer to the "gunk" and "stuff" that the skimmer pulls out, and are happy that it's not floating around in their tanks, which sounds a little odd to me, as you essentially are stripping out dissolved organics that a lot of reef organisms, including corals, feed on, not to mention the planktonic life that actually dies in the collection cup.'

Now I am by no means knocking skimmers, I run them myself on my larger tanks. But I don't think it is a coincidence that my 15G skimmer-less reef is my healthiest and most successful system. And I do believe that skimmers serve as a useful safety net in young and immature systems, and can help bring stability to an unstable system.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back