Do I have an QT ammonia problem or not?

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powder blue tang and 3 anthias in my 200l QT tank.

I have 2x a3 paper size sponges in there which had been in my DT sump for 7 weeks. One sponge is in a canister filter and the other is loose in the tank.

I have a seneye in there along with a seachem ammonia alert. The seneye ready 0.005ppm no3. The seachem looks closer to the green alert colour than the yellow safe colour indicating near to 0.05ppm and a separate salifert test kit reads 0.25ppm. What do i believe?

I tested my display tank water with the salifert test kit and it also ready 0.25ppm which cant be right.

The slide in my seneye is 30 days old now but it still should be accurate right?

Do you think I have an issue?

Thanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given those options I lean towards the $200 tester

plus it’s actually reporting within range seneye says is correct.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so trust the seneye :) will do thanks.

It is very slowly creeping up by about 0.001ppm per day but i assume this is a very low amount which isn't worth working about. What value would you say I should start becoming concerned?

Thanks brandon!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is still up for debate, zero people agree on acceptable levels now that we are barely able to see this level of conversion

in my opinion it’s when it hits hundredths and keeps going that means not enough surface area and an expected rise crash linear

variances in thousandths even to .009 not a concern we expect low surface area tanks to struggle but they still have a very distinct tipping point and hundredths ppm nh3 up from that .005 would be it for me.

bottle bac is specifically unhelpful here, attachment points are lacking. You’re looking for the barest system that supports waste but won’t confound or bind medications, looks like it’s perfect so far.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is still up for debate, zero people agree on acceptable levels now that we are barely able to see this level of conversion

in my opinion it’s when it hits hundredths and keeps going that means not enough surface area and an expected rise crash linear

variances in thousandths even to .009 not a concern we expect low surface area tanks to struggle but they still have a very distinct tipping point and hundredths ppm nh3 up from that .005 would be it for me.

bottle bac is specifically unhelpful here, attachment points are lacking. You’re looking for the barest system that supports waste but won’t confound or bind medications, looks like it’s perfect so far.
You are the man! Thanks very much

Back