Do I have enough flow?

Benjamin J. Young

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Messages
14
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fighting Cyano right now, and trying to figure out what factors to improve. 2 month old tank, 25% water changes weekly, RO/DI water source, protein skimmer, and I think the clean up crew is large enough. I'm pretty sure it's lighting at this point and might have to move the tank further from the panoramic window, but I wanted to check in on my flow.

I currently only run one Hydor Koralia Nano 425 in a 20 gallon tank. Lots of live rock. Is 425gph enough flow, or should I add a second power head? This is my first marine tank, so I've never depended on anything but filters for flow before.
 
With either of the ones i said you can adjust the flow with the controller and you will only need one of them for your tank
 
You'd be safe adding just the 240 nano to the tank, just enough to get some flow going in the dead areas is all your looking for.
 
I went ahead and purchased the RW4, and I'll probably use the 425 to point at the surface to help break it as I am getting some film build up.

Thanks guys!
 
I went ahead and purchased the RW4, and I'll probably use the 425 to point at the surface to help break it as I am getting some film build up.

Thanks guys!
That film is organics.
What skimmer are you using? Keeping it in suspension will help the skimmer pull it out.
 
That film is organics.
What skimmer are you using? Keeping it in suspension will help the skimmer pull it out.
It's a red film, that I assume is made of Cyano. Bits of thicker floating Cynao I see at least clogged up around the skimmer. It's a HOB surface skimmer (Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004). I was thinking about adding a sump, because I don't like the sight of my equipment, but I can't find a fitting tank to my limited cabinet space.
 
Hi, I have a 60 gallon aquarium (48″ x 13″ x 24″) with a koralia 3 pump and I'm pretty sure that's not enough flow. I want to keep a mixed reef with mostly LPS and SPS, any powerhead recommendations?
 
I have a 75g with two gyre 130's and a mp40
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new