Do I have the right sump setup

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t personally do that, I’d wait until you start to see visible sediment or every 3 days. I mean you have a simple set up that’s shown to get results. As mentioned above a solid maintenance schedule, clean up the piping and you’ll be fine and dandy.

Hallzers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree that regular maintenance is vital.

aaaand as for other upgrades, it depends on your objective for your tank. Are you happy with what you currently have in your tank, or are you wanting to go for something better? And--- what is that? The advice you seek for your sump should be predicated by what you are trying to achieve in the tank. Tell the folks what you want to achieve and

For example, if you want to get into acros & SPS, then you need a refugium and a light for some chaeto to get those nitrate levels down to zero... or just add some zeolyte.

But so far as just asking for opinions in general with no stated objective... I like ridiculously oversized sumps. SO, add a 100 gallon sump and put it in your basement. Yeehaw! Yeah baby. Then you can have a refugium, upgrade to a much bigger skimmer, and add a few dozen more fish, and add some T5's and some ecotech lights and a few kessils for good measure... see where I'm going? You might not need all of that. But seriously. I love huge sumps and have a 100 gallon sump in my basement and love it. Can't go wrong with too much sump. I like big sumps and I cannot lie. All you other brothers can't deny...

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank and I want to grow it from here. I am hoping once I see I can do it and maintain all different types of reef corals that I can go bigger and better. I want to have an amazing coral reef experience on my living room. I have no idea what I need to be able to start to grow other types of corals. I need direction so that I can start and add corals. What is the advantage of a larger sump? What is a refuguim used for? Just need help and advice so that I can enjoy all kinds of different corals.

Hallzers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank .... I want to have an amazing coral reef experience on my living room. I have no idea what I need to be able to start to grow other types of corals. I need direction so that I can start and add corals. What is the advantage of a larger sump? What is a refuguim used for? Just need help and advice so that I can enjoy all kinds of different corals.

Wow that is a loaded question!

1. Begin with a goal. "An amazing coral reef experience... ...with all kinds of different corals." Right on! lets also add that it should be one you can enjoy without adding a huge regimen of maintenance and expensive purchases. You can have a lot of amazing and enjoyable variety in your tank without having any expert-level corals. So start with expanding into more softies and leathers. They are forgiving and beautiful to watch move with your current. Maybe a japanese toadstool and a neon green nephthea, etc. Try to stay away from SPS for now. People who mix all of their corals together in one tank successfully are either experts or just very, very good at what they are doing. Start simple and embrace your current equipment-- and its limits. Stick with everything you have and keep your current sump without spending any money until you know for sure what you want to end up with. Look at a lot of youtube videos to educate yourself on the types of tanks you think are most beautiful. Don't chase trends and what other people like, decide what you like for yourself.

2. Water changes & maintenance. Do your monthly water changes and maintenance. Just about any problem in your tank can be fixed with a water change.

3. Your sump. Having a big sump can help add to the stability of your system (a dead rotting fish that you didn't see does less damage in a big system than in a small system) in two ways: It can house a lot of extra water, and it can house a lot of extra sand and rock. It can also provide a hidden place to put things like aquarium heaters, auto top-off systems, dosing, zeolyte & GFO ("rocks & rust") etc. while keeping your aquarium uncluttered and clean looking. So bigger is generally easier and more forgiving. That's the sort of info you can just keep in the back of your mind for when you start planning your ultimate system. For now, just stick with what you have.

Hallzers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump (continued). The refugium is just an open area of your sump where you can throw poorly behaved animals (a mean damsel, someone who was munching on your corals, etc) or a clean-up crew, or a breeding pair of clowns, or a big ball of rotating algae under a light to consume all of your nitrates. The latest trend is to put a purplish-red light on your sump so you can grow chaeto algae and then the algae won't be able to grow in your display tank because the chaeto eats all of the nutrients.

A lot of people take pride in their sumps. I have a friend who owns CNC equipment and built his own amazing acrylic super-sump with every custom compartment and feature he could dream up on his huge sump, which he keeps shiny and beautiful. Personally, I just went to the local farm supply store and bought an ugly 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank, threw it in the basement directly under my 99 gallon living room display tank, and plumbed it up.

4. Learning your preferences. As you learn more in the hobby, you can answer questions for yourself, such as "Are you good with technology and computerized stuff?" If so, you may enjoy an Apex system to automate everything for you and monitor your system. Or, "Do you love tinkering with your tank every day?" If so, you may want to skip the Apex and do everything manually. Also, what corals do you enjoy viewing the most? I'd get to know some local reefers and check out their tanks, and ask them about their maintenance routines. YouTube videos can really be helpful too.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back