Saltwater start up - Do I really need all this?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know ;) luckily I live very close to LFS so I can always run down to the store
I was more advocating for the inkbird or comparable controller. Even though I still think an extra heater is a no brainer. Especially since the cost of 1 fish or coral outweighs the money you're trying to save.

Believe it or not, the start up costs are not really anything in this hobby. The cost of livestock and maintenance far outweigh them in the long run

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was more advocating for the inkbird or comparable controller. Even though I still think an extra heater is a no brainer. Especially since the cost of 1 fish or coral outweighs the money you're trying to save.
Ill look into them. I have considered inkbird for my fresh butmy fish are cheap (although I do love them) so I didn't ever get it. May splurge for that one though!

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater+live rock+flow is all you need, that’s it.

Do you want bare bottom or sand? Does not have to be “live” sand, rinse well to fresh water runs clear before adding to tank

A light if you want to see what’s in tank or grow coral.

A refractometer is a useful tool for mixing saltwater.

On a 20 gallon, weekly water changes will be enough to maintain water quality.

Redundancy is good, two power heads, wave makers, in case one fails, Tunze makes inexpensive reliable power heads for small tanks

No heater if in warm climate and A/C runs 24/7 350 days year. South Fl. here no heaters.

Skimmer on 20g not practical, water changes,

Filter sock useful to trap detritus

Auto top off not need, 5 gallons rodi water should last a while , top off daily or every other day depending on evaporation.

All the other bells and whistles, marketing gimmicks, expensive toys, blah!!

I have a 20 and 36 gallon, with lights, hob filters and power heads, I do weekly water change, sometimes.

I suggest just getting enough to get started even just a standard tank and stand. See if the hobby is for you. Keep that tank going successfully and save up for the tank of your dreams. If you don’t enjoy, lesson learned without spending $$

Hope this helps

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater+live rock+flow is all you need, that’s it.

Do you want bare bottom or sand? Does not have to be “live” sand, rinse well to fresh water runs clear before adding to tank

A light if you want to see what’s in tank or grow coral.

A refractometer is a useful tool for mixing saltwater.

On a 20 gallon, weekly water changes will be enough to maintain water quality.

Redundancy is good, two power heads, wave makers, in case one fails, Tunze makes inexpensive reliable power heads for small tanks

No heater if in warm climate and A/C runs 24/7 350 days year. South Fl. here no heaters.

Skimmer on 20g not practical, water changes,

Filter sock useful to trap detritus

Auto top off not need, 5 gallons rodi water should last a while , top off daily or every other day depending on evaporation.

All the other bells and whistles, marketing gimmicks, expensive toys, blah!!

I have a 20 and 36 gallon, with lights, hob filters and power heads, I do weekly water change, sometimes.

I suggest just getting enough to get started even just a standard tank and stand. See if the hobby is for you. Keep that tank going successfully and save up for the tank of your dreams. If you don’t enjoy, lesson learned without spending $$

Hope this helps
Thank you! Yes, sand, which I do have and is fine to use in both fresh and salt, but may do live sand. I am always on top of testing and water maintenance so I will be all set. We don't always run AC or even heat but the house stays around 75-78 in summer and 70 in winter (heater will probably be good then).

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you considered a Biocube 32? You can find them used as well. Comes with a hood and lights. No sock filter either. Skimmer optional. Pump upgrade not required, but nice. Ato not needed, evaporation is minimal. Yes, you need a powerhead. Those can easily be found second hand.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a Biocube 32? You can find them used as well. Comes with a hood and lights. No sock filter either. Skimmer optional. Pump upgrade not required, but nice.
No. I have heard horror stories (glass cracking/light catching on fire/overheating due to lid) and wouldn't want to risk it because I am the luckiest unlucky person. I would rather spend my money somewhere else. I also don't like the look of them.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I have heard horror stories (glass cracking/light catching on fire/overheating due to lid) and wouldn't want to risk it because I am the luckiest unlucky person. I would rather spend my money somewhere else. I also don't like the look of them.
I missed the fresh water part,

You are golden, get some salt and live rock. Same thing as fresh water except salt and they want to gouge your eyeballs out with prices

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the fresh water part,

You are golden, get some salt and live rock. Same thing as fresh water except salt and they want to gouge your eyeballs out with prices
For sure realized how pricey some of these secondhand setups are with all the bells and whistles but ive been told "the simpler the better" which I do for my freshwater and theyre the healthiest tanks I personally have ever seen. I think ill survive in this saltwater hobby. Feel like everyone is making it harder than it is :grimacing-face: I had to remove myself from all facebook groups because they rip you apart. If I don't get a secondhand setup already established im going with the bare minimum to cycle for a month and go from there. Got the rest of my life to do this so I am in no rush!

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure realized how pricey some of these secondhand setups are with all the bells and whistles but ive been told "the simpler the better" which I do for my freshwater and theyre the healthiest tanks I personally have ever seen. I think ill survive in this saltwater hobby. Feel like everyone is making it harder than it is :grimacing-face: I had to remove myself from all facebook groups because they rip you apart. If I don't get a secondhand setup already established im going with the bare minimum to cycle for a month and go from there. Got the rest of my life to do this so I am in no rush!
Sounds good to me, keep it simple

Less stuff, less stuff to break

As you already know take the forums with a grain of salt, sometimes the ill informed are informing the ill informed

Hope you find a great deal out there and good luck.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is insane! Never do the math, and speak in generalities if your spouse has questions or input!
in this economy im all about the math :grimacing-face: luckily my partner is open to one more tank since I rehomed one to a friend of ours. Told them 3 is the max, but will eventually rehome one of my smaller tanks once my fish pass so I can focus on my large freshwater and future nano.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals, 2 clowns, invertabretes. I am thinking of getting a cheaper setup (not AIO) and maybe forgoing a stand for the time being? I am also looking into people rehoming their saltwater setups. I found a nice one with all fish/coral/items for $400 although will need to rehome their blueface angelfish (whoever sold him that fish didn't tell him it needs a 200+ gallon tank). I know maintenance will be high up on the list but luckily I don't spend my money on anything besides bills, food and pets (no rent for the win) so owning another tank (and possibly rehoming my smaller freshwater so I go back to 2) will be financially maintainable.
If everything looks good, this would be your best way to go. Too bad your not in South Texas I would take the BF off your hands.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a little cost breakdown of my first reef tank, if it provides you any idea what you may be looking at. Most of these items were purchased new:

1710430616436.png
I think I had actually spent around $250 on Tidal Gardens so with the cost of livestock, totaling out to around $1250

The startup cost is honestly the staggering bit of it, I cant see monthly costs being too high unless you're planning to run a mid size or huge system

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little cost breakdown of my first reef tank, if it provides you any idea what you may be looking at. Most of these items were purchased new:

1710430616436.png
I think I had actually spent around $250 on Tidal Gardens so with the cost of livestock, totaling out to around $1250

The startup cost is honestly the staggering bit of it, I cant see monthly costs being too high unless you're planning to run a mid size or huge system
Thanks for your list! Yes, startup is expensive but some things ill be forgoing the first months are foing to be skimmer, coral and livestock, uprades etc so it will save me money..for a few months. I am trying to take someones old setup off their hands but ive noticed people sell their 20 or even less gallon tanks for 1-1.5k which is ridiculous to me, especially secondhand. I will be sure to update this thread once I have everything together. The bigger the system I find the more expensive to run but we shall see!

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for your list! Yes, startup is expensive but some things ill be forgoing the first months are foing to be skimmer, coral and livestock, uprades etc so it will save me money..for a few months. I am trying to take someones old setup off their hands but ive noticed people sell their 20 or even less gallon tanks for 1-1.5k which is ridiculous to me, especially secondhand. I will be sure to update this thread once I have everything together. The bigger the system I find the more expensive to run but we shall see!

You could probably even forego the lighting for the first month or two unless you're planning to do a live rock start. Are you planning to buy an established setup including live stock?

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably even forego the lighting for the first month or two unless you're planning to do a live rock start. Are you planning to buy an established setup including live stock?
I may do a live rock start if I do start from scratch.

So far, yes, I found someone who is selling their 20 gallon with livestock/lights/everything for $400 but its 2.5 hours away and I am still waiting for pictures because what they show isn't showing what sort of filtration they have and what to expect. It has pulsing xenia, zoas, mushrooms and 1 clown (I see 2 but one may have passed) as well as pixi mini pro lights, stand, filter, and heater. I also already know I have to rehome their blue faced angelfish because they grow a lot and i am not sure why they sold this person a fish that needs a 200+ gallon tank..

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy a running used setup with name brand equipment. You can easily sell lots of the higher end equipment replace it with more budget friendly stuff. This helps recoup most if not all of the cost lots of times. Yes it’s a lot of work breaking down running systems systems and it’s a trial by fire. But, all the miscellaneous equipment that comes with a used setup is a huge savings. Just think, you can buy budget lights or a used powerhead to save a couple hundred. But no one is selling the mass amount of small things you’ll need and have to buy at $5-20 a piece on Amazon. Don’t underestimate the cardboard box of stuff that comes with it!

Edit: The value of the miscellaneous stuff diminishes if you already have lots of “stuff”. But since it’s your first saltwater setup, likely lots of that stuff will save you money.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back