Do I need a chiller for my 210 gallon tank?

Should I get a chiller?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all,

I'm setting up a 210 gallon SPS-dominant tank right now. Never owned a tank before. But pretty much going all out on this one. I've heard many people say that they don't use a chiller. Do I need one?

Here are various details that may be useful in determining whether a chiller is necessary for my tank:

I live in Utah.
I keep my house at 66 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter and 71 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter.
I have a SYNCRA PRO (1900 GPH) return pump, which I plan on submerging. I believe it's an AC pump. (How much will submerging this pump increase water temperature vs. keeping it external?)
I'm planning on getting Ecotech Vortech Quietdrive powerheads.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jon

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights will you be using? The Vortechs won't contribute much heat, and I doubt the return pump will either. Your largest heat source will probably be your lights.

I have a large tank as well - and keep my house around 74/75 year round with no chiller. In fact, my heater turns on sometimes.

OP
OP
JollyReefer

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I'll be running a T5/LED hybrid. Not sure the wattage. Like an ATI hybrid system probably.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my old 150 in Las Vegas (mid/high 70s room temp) and an ATI Powermodule, I had to run a chiller to keep the tank around 78 degrees. With my current tank and Radions, I have not had to have a chiller.

OP
OP
JollyReefer

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my old 150 in Las Vegas (mid/high 70s room temp) and an ATI Powermodule, I had to run a chiller to keep the tank around 78 degrees. With my current tank and Radions, I have not had to have a chiller.
Thanks! That's good information to have.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.0%
Back