Tangs for 75 gallon tank

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to think about setting up my 75 gallon tank again and I’m wondering whether I can keep a couple of juvenile tangs in there for a couple of years. How quickly do they get to the 5-6 inch mark? I currently have a 210 gallon and I have two yellows, a gem, a powder blue and a flame tip in there. I am planning a large build (10 footer) for a year or so down the line which is my dream tank so the goal would be to eventually transfer all the fish in my 210 and this 75 gallon into that much larger tank.

I am thinking of a kole and a white tail. This tank is a 42 by 18 by 20. Or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks all!

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a Bristletooth Tomini tang.
Mine is still under 3" after 2 1/2 years.

20240204_155139.jpg

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini, kole (there are several varieties), or white tail bristletooth. Those are the bristletooths that'd do well pretty much their whole life in a 75. Also they're gorgeous.
I love white tails… have had bad luck with them thus far. Hopefully the next one does better.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to think about setting up my 75 gallon tank again and I’m wondering whether I can keep a couple of juvenile tangs in there for a couple of years. How quickly do they get to the 5-6 inch mark? I currently have a 210 gallon and I have two yellows, a gem, a powder blue and a flame tip in there. I am planning a large build (10 footer) for a year or so down the line which is my dream tank so the goal would be to eventually transfer all the fish in my 210 and this 75 gallon into that much larger tank.

I am thinking of a kole and a white tail. This tank is a 42 by 18 by 20. Or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks all!
Those white tails are beautiful! My LFS has a 7 inch monster of one currently, the coloring is amazing! I would think if you got a little one it wouldnt outgrow the tank in that year you plan to work on a big tank!

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those white tails are beautiful! My LFS has a 7 inch monster of one currently, the coloring is amazing! I would think if you got a little one it wouldnt outgrow the tank in that year you plan to work on a big tank!
The rate of growth always worries me because I really want the fish to be happy. It’s a balancing act at the end of the day.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rate of growth always worries me because I really want the fish to be happy. It’s a balancing act at the end of the day.
Agree. I have a blue lip bristletooth and he is still 2 inches after a couple months. No noticeable growth where as my yellow got big fast!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back