Do I need a separate grow light for the refugarium in my 3 gallon AIO pico reef?

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted an Imagitarium 3.7 Gallon PRO Deluxe Freshwater Aquarium into a pico reef with the Reefbreeders Saltwater Pico LED as my lighting. The light has decent power output (100 PAR at the bottom of my tank if the light shines over it), but I have the light angled over the non-AIO part of my tank and was wondering if I can rely on the residual lighting from the Pico LED to grow some chaeto in my refugarium? I'm thinking of converting one of the original AIO compartments into a fuge for chaeto.

Here's some pics of the tank. Since there's not a lot of space to grow chaeto I don't know if buying a separate grow light for chaeto is worth it.

IMG_3857.jpg IMG_3853.jpg IMG_3854.jpg IMG_3855.jpg IMG_3856.jpg

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I honestly don't think it's worth an effort on a 4g tank. I mean you'll be maintaining the heck out of it even if it does work. A Pico tank like that needs only a water change

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can do without. I would not expect to grow chaeto or similar, but you can however add a few mangroves to reduce nitrate

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 gal AIO with Chaeto in the middle chamber. It works really well for stripping nitrates out of the water and for generally cleaning the water and as a refuge for pods and small life.
My filtration is a filter matt I change weekly, Chemi-Pure Blue and some Seachem Matrix for Biofiltration. Along with the chaeto that's the extent of my filtration. I don't use a skimmer.
I perform daily 10% water changes with an AWC.
My nitrates are zero with a Hanna checker and my phosphates are super low.
Chaeto is an amazing filter and nitrate absorber. It's vastly preferable on a small tank over a skimmer, which pulls water out of the tank and messes up salinity.
I built a simple fuge light using some red/blue LED strips I got from Aliexpress, stuffed into a glass test tube and sealed in with silicone. It runs on a reverse lighting cycle to my main lights, and is controlled by a standard Smart plug controlled through Amazon Alexa. I used some 3d printed parts to make it a little efancier but that wasn;t really necessary. It's been running since Feb with great success.
1653528285411.png

1653528301267.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back