Do I need an acclimation tank?

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a yellow tang and a blue hippo going from my QT to my DT. My DT only has two clowns, a benghai cardinal and a cleaner shrimp in it and they have been there for about 3 weeks. My question is should I put the two tangs in an small acclimation tank inside the DT for a few hours so they can get used to the DT fish and vice versa?

Thanks,
Steve

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An acclimation box is always a good investment. The two tangs should be fine though without an acclimation box because the established fish have only been there 3 weeks, but if you do see some aggression it would be nice to have the acclimation box as a back up. How large is your tank?

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 75G but I am getting ready to upgrade. Blue tang is a juvenile but needs a bigger tank and so do I.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tahoe61 I feel is totally correct. I think you are fine without an acclimation box. This time. I think any fish you decide to add later will be a problem...yellow and blue tangs can become very territorial very quickly. It will be risky adding more fish after the tangs...especially more tangs. That said, after a while things settle down and they all mostly get along.

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uh oh, I just bought a flame angel, blenny and springer damsel today. What do you recommend when I add them in about 30 days from now (in TTM and QT).

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try really hard to add the flame and tangs together. The small fish seem to get along. The flame and yellow and blue tang are an unknown. I have a purple tang and flame that hated each other...no they hang together as if best buddies. They are actually...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back