Do I need any white spectrum?

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing FB posts claiming white light is useless to corals and only causes nuisance algae. If that is true why do all the programs, AB+ etc., include some white? Should I eliminate it. I run G5 Radion XR 30 Blues on the AB+ schedule which includes 100% on all spectrums. Is lighting the reason these Rock Flowers look entirely different from what I ordered?

IMG_1446.png IMG_1266.jpeg

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to rock flowers and indeed a lot of coral pictures that you see, the 'blue' colors are most often the reflection of blue lighting, and the bright neon colors are the florescence showing under blues.

Those rock flowers look accurate to my experience with how rock flowers look under blue spectrum versus whites with blue mixed in. A couple of pretty pieces.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting and water conditions can definitely impact how corals, nems, fish, etc. look (as can photoshop).

With regards to white vs. blue light - it's complicated, but basically corals can survive and thrive under white or blue light (which they do better under depends on a bunch of different factors); algae will also thrive under either blue of white light. Honestly, if using just blue light helps, the effect is almost certainly minimal - I'd guess it mostly helps by making the algae harder to see.

For the long winded discussion on white vs blue light and algae, see my posts in the threads below:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the same rock flowers as pictured. Theirs are just edited and shot under heavy blues. With experience you will start to be able to kind of see through the “makeup” that is present in online pictures.

Most all vendors will include a heavy hit of full spectrum in their daily photoperiod, but rarely ever actually take advertisement images under those same settings. Most will just use the 450 nm channel and sometimes the violet channel(s) and a heavy dose of Adobe Lightroom editing for their website photos.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need white. I grew all these from frags under blue and violet.

Attachments

• D1ED0A82-E5F3-4D29-BC98-7DE3CD1562D2.jpeg
    D1ED0A82-E5F3-4D29-BC98-7DE3CD1562D2.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 85

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock Flowers are in very shallow water in the Florida. They get a daylight spectrum all day. Daylight has more blue in it than a Radion Blue has, but it also has other colors.

To get the best color, hit them with all colors for a good portion of the day an then blue-it-up when you want to look at them. Blue cannot pop color that is not there.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get the best color, hit them with all colors for a good portion of the day an then blue-it-up when you want to look at them. Blue cannot pop color that is not there.

I do agree with this. While I did go through phase of blue only and grew this coral, I have since added a few hours of full spectrum in. And I notice certain corals do look better as a result. I now run a long blue period in morning and evening/night, but have few hours of full spectrum in early afternoon

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock Flowers are in very shallow water in the Florida. They get a daylight spectrum all day. Daylight has more blue in it than a Radion Blue has, but it also has other colors.

So how would you alter this spectrum?

Attachments

• IMG_1457.png
    IMG_1457.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 95

Vjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing FB posts claiming white light is useless to corals and only causes nuisance algae. If that is true why do all the programs, AB+ etc., include some white? Should I eliminate it. I run G5 Radion XR 30 Blues on the AB+ schedule which includes 100% on all spectrums. Is lighting the reason these Rock Flowers look entirely different from what I ordered?

IMG_1446.png IMG_1266.jpeg
Hello TWYOUNG! Most online sites right now are post-processing pictures to make them more attractive to your eyes. You can get the coral to look more similar by turning the blues more. Unfortunately, the hobby has become more of a money-making strategy for some people. They look healthy though. Make sure the water parameters are stable and they will color up.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how would you alter this spectrum?

I don't know. The Radion Blue is too blue for a lot of folks. AB is not a bad template but I would not run it any more blue. For species that thrive under daylight, it might be too blue for optimum color, but it still should make most things happy enough.

I don't use LED so I am not the best person to ask. I have a few Radion G4, but I run it nearly 100% on all channels but that is over a frag tank. Others will probably have better opinions.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing FB posts claiming white light is useless to corals and only causes nuisance algae. If that is true why do all the programs, AB+ etc., include some white?
Ab+ is based on the spectrum you get from 80% blue plus and 20% Aqua blue special.
Screenshot_20231227-144654.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back