Anemone/Porcelain Crabs Loosing Claws

Anthony Kochevar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two anemone crabs in my 3 gallon pico for almost a year. Both have had several molts with no issues. This last molt "Priscilla" molted she was fine, but two days later I noticed her left big claw was gone. I never found it. Two days ago "Penelope" molted. She was fine after, now today, two days later, she is missing her left big claw and I cannot see it in the tank ether. Not sure what to do and am concerned. I have a one small fish in the tank but the rest is coral.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There is an actual answer to this. With porcelains, when they feel threatened or highly stressed, they will drop a claw. The chief purpose of large claw is to defend their territory and not an issue if they dont have it. As you found out- they grow them back. There may be an occupant in tank intimidating causing this. Purpose of dropping their claw or leg is to distract their attacker long enough allowing them to scurry away. Luckily this appendage will regenerate over the next few days and the Porcelain Crab will carry on as if nothing happened.

jay1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an actual answer to this. With porcelains, when they feel threatened or highly stressed, they will drop a claw. The chief purpose of large claw is to defend their territory and not an issue if they dont have it. As you found out- they grow them back. There may be an occupant in tank intimidating causing this. Purpose of dropping their claw or leg is to distract their attacker long enough allowing them to scurry away. Luckily this appendage will regenerate over the next few days and the Porcelain Crab will carry on as if nothing happened.
If a porcelain crab loses one of it filtering appendages some ,can theses also regenerate on there next moult?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a porcelain crab loses one of it filtering appendages some ,can theses also regenerate on there next moult?
To my knowledge, yes - it may take a few molts for a lost limb to fully regenerate, but it can come back with enough time, low stress, good food, and good water quality.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It can be one molt or 6 molts. Assure calcium levels are good which contributes to shell strength

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back