Anemone/Porcelain Crabs Loosing Claws

Anthony Kochevar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two anemone crabs in my 3 gallon pico for almost a year. Both have had several molts with no issues. This last molt "Priscilla" molted she was fine, but two days later I noticed her left big claw was gone. I never found it. Two days ago "Penelope" molted. She was fine after, now today, two days later, she is missing her left big claw and I cannot see it in the tank ether. Not sure what to do and am concerned. I have a one small fish in the tank but the rest is coral.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is an actual answer to this. With porcelains, when they feel threatened or highly stressed, they will drop a claw. The chief purpose of large claw is to defend their territory and not an issue if they dont have it. As you found out- they grow them back. There may be an occupant in tank intimidating causing this. Purpose of dropping their claw or leg is to distract their attacker long enough allowing them to scurry away. Luckily this appendage will regenerate over the next few days and the Porcelain Crab will carry on as if nothing happened.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back