Please help! Worried about my emerald crab!

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emerald crab who is currently carrying eggs hasn’t molted since I got her 2 months ago, I’m not really concerned that she hasn’t molted but she now has what I believe to be Cyanobacteria on her shell and legs and I don’t know how I could get it off? Any suggestions? I’d really like to avoid chemicals if possible. The bacteria is like a black sludge that was on the sand bed. I’m almost at the end of the cyano outbreak simply by cleaning and daily WCs but I’m concerned my emerald crab will die if I don’t do something to treat her.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as she appears healthy I wouldn't worry about it. Many of my inverts grow algae and my pitho crabs get what looks like it could be cyano (I do have a little in the tank) but it doesn't seem to bother them. My snails grow more algae than the rocks they are supposed to keep clean.

EDIT : You said she is carrying eggs. I'm not sure emeralds carry eggs. Hopefully some one more knowledgeable will chime in. I have a pair of emeralds that I have seen spawning (breeding?)
but I didn't notice one carry eggs. But mine are mostly nocturnal so I don't see them often.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as she appears healthy I wouldn't worry about it. Many of my inverts grow algae and my pitho crabs get what looks like it could be cyano (I do have a little in the tank) but it doesn't seem to bother them. My snails grow more algae than the rocks they are supposed to keep clean.

EDIT : You said she is carrying eggs. I'm not sure emeralds carry eggs. Hopefully some one more knowledgeable will chime in. I have a pair of emeralds that I have seen spawning (breeding?)
but I didn't notice one carry eggs. But mine are mostly nocturnal so I don't see them often.
Oh yeah she’s carrying eggs you can watch her clean them inside of her undercarriage I’ll attach a video

Attachments

• IMG_7116.MOV
    54.8 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah she’s carrying eggs you can watch her clean them inside of her undercarriage I’ll attach a video
Yeah, if she's carrying eggs then she probably won't molt (and get rid of the algae on her shell) until the eggs have hatched.

Are you going to try and raise the larvae?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back