Do I need live rocks for a already cycle tank?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need any rock to contribute to an esatblished or for assisitng a nitrogen cycle if your tank is already cycled. Most reef fish like haveing hiding places so both would be beneficial for that reason. Reef ecosystems are very complex and a lot more is needed than just bacteria for the nitrogen cycle including cryptic sponges that are essential recyclers for the various DOC compounds generated. Maricultured or wild live rock is the best source for those. See Aquabiomics article here

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Live rock is good to introduce beneficial microorganisms, and add to the tank's biodiversity. Rock in general is important in a reef tank, for hiding places and spots for bacteria to live. If your tank is already cycled, you don't need live rock to add more bacteria, but it's good to add all the helpful little critters. A couple pounds of really nice live rock (not just stuff that's been in a bin, you want ocean rock) is a great addition to any aquarium that wasn't started with the nice live rock in the first place.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entirely depends on how you cycled the tank and what was in it at the time.

Cycling a tank is simply a term for colonising bacteria on surfaces - if you have no rock when it cycled, what did you have to ensure the bacteria lived on? Very, very little is in the water column.

I’d fear the tank is not already cycled without rock of any sort to be honest.

what makes you say the tank is already cycled if it’s rockless?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw lots of dry rock into a tank with some live rock without issue. I did hide the dry rock from the light by putting the live on top however.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 63 47.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back