Do I need the foam cover for my MP10?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two MP10s in my tank. I keep the foam covers on them because my cleaner shrimp is always picking at it, even if he wasn't, I get worried one of those long antennas would get pulled in anyway (though he seems to have pretty good control of them). Anyone with these pumps knows, after a few days the foam covers start sliding off and have to be cleaned and put back on. I was just about to print an anemone guard and I remember reading something a while back about (here) where someone mentioned that the shrimp are just picking at the food caught in the foam.
So, if get rid of the foam and skip the guard will everyone ignore the powerhead or am I asking for problems?
If it makes any difference, the shrimp only picks at one of the powerheads, near "his spot", he leaves the other one alone. I also don't think I've seen any of the fish or snails playing with it either. The only thing I'm not sure about is a Tuxedo Urchin I just added a few days ago, so I'm not sure about his behavior yet.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a nem i would skip the foam or the nem cage.

The livestock will learn. Thats why they make electric fences for grazing animals :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foam covers mostly useless so I don’t use them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back